A crazy question about B&B Safe Oils

Brenda (OH)

I hope this is where I post this question, if not feel free to move the post where it belongs. :tiptoe:

Can B&B safe oils be used directly on the skin or hair? or should they be "cut" with something? Sorry if it is a dumb question but I was asked and really didnt have the answer :confused:

TIA ~ Brenda

Just about any carrier oil can be used to cut fo's or eo's for any application. Other carriers include cyclomethicone, water (you'll need an emulsifier like polysorbate 20 for water-based diluents), etc. Anything really, so long as the ratio of fo/eo is kept low; they're pretty concentrated.

The usual is about 1-2.5% fo/eo, if I'm not wrong. That's usually more than enough to scent your entire product. Eo's are usually stronger than fo's, so you can use a lower ratio. This is subjective though, really. You may or may not like a strongly scented product.

With EOs good ones are Jojoba, olive, hemp, sweet almond, apricot....just got to look and see what does what for the skin and go from there.:highfive:

FOs depends on what your base is most do seem to hover about the 3% range but ya never really know til you get in into the base and see what it smells like may need to use way less.

:grin2:

They always need to be cut, even cosmetic grade ones regardless what may be said on some websites.

If you want to use them as a perfume spray or hair product then a mix of Cyclomethicone and other oils can be used (lotioncrafter has one, waves to Jardyga and thanx her for telling me about the site)

if you want it as a roll on, u could use, FCO, Jojoba(though somewhat oily), or SAO.

It is not fair for some fragrances to be used straight away, as putting them in creams let the scent come out in a more rounded and nicer way.

Thanks so much to all of you with your recommendations :yay:

I dabble in B&B but mostly do candles and home scenting. I had a wholesale meeting where the prospective retailer inquired about my oils I use for warming/burning. She asked if they could be used on the body and I told her that the application was for home scenting but would inquire.

I'll check out the classy's and see what carrier oils I can find to test this possible new avenue.

Thanks again :D