When does it stop being exciting?

GrandmaArial

I just checked on my latest batch of CP (it’s allowed, a honey soap so not covered) and I’m so excited, I think it’s going to be exactly what I planned… unlike yesterday… which was supposed to look like today’s except… well… I screwed up.

The plan was to try oatmeal honey soap again. My first attempt is lovely to use but I still think its ugly as sin. So… I thought “what if I omit the cinnamon and swirl the honey?” worth a try…

Now I need to note my husband set me up a space down in the basement for my soaps. This had more to do with “get this crap out of the kitchen” than it did with “I want to support you in your endeavor”. I spent Monday trying to get it organized but still need some shelves and the small area of counter space I have was cluttered.

So there I am, in my new personal space soaping area. I measure and organize my oils… coconut butter, hydrogenated soybean oil, stearic acid, olive oil, castor oil, and grapeseed oil. On the other side I had the ground oatmeal and honey waiting their turn.

Lye water is cool and ready… I melt hard oils… add soft oils… add lye water… whisk to light trace… blah blah blah… pour in mold and start to clean up… and see the stearic acid sitting on the counter.

I think fast and grab the stearic acid and run upstairs and stick it in the microwave to melt and toss the soap in a pot… it split open and such pretty looking orange swirls! No matter… I HAVE to try to save it! If its lye heavy its trash!

I never used the microwave to melt oils before but my guess is no one else tries to melt stearic acid in the microwave… at least not alone, took forever… finally melted- I tossed it in the pot and stirred til I thought my arm was going to fall off… plopped it back into the mold (newly lined) and put it to bed.

Checked on it an hour later… it was gelling nicely… except that oil was coming out of it like a small geyser. Ok… I’m only exaggerating a little. Bubbles of oil were seeping to the top… big bubbles. Lots of big bubbles. So I plop the whole thing in a pot and put it on gentle heat til it all incorporated and back into the (again newly lined) mold. It worked and this am I took it out. No zap, no oil seeping out… seems like a nice… plain looking soap.

So.. back to subject… I redid it today and now its sitting downstairs… has gelled beautifully and is cooing nicely. I’m so excited… seeing the swirls showing distinctly. I can’t wait to cut! Then I have to wait a month to really see what its going to be like (though I will no doubt cheat with a sliver from cutting them tomorrow)… I’m so excited! When does it stop being so exciteing??????????