Lotion Bar has the Mumps

MochaMama

I have no idea what happened to this lotion bar. It is a 1:1:1 mix of shea, cocoa and beeswax plus color, fragrance, corn starch (not modified) and frac. coconut oil.

I have no idea how it morphed into Star Trek lotion bar! Isn't it creepy looking? Consistency is still the same though, but you can actually scoop out the "bumps" with your fingernail. How strange!!

I am depending on the experts to help me out. :highfive:

BTW this is a remelted lotion bar - I wanted to add color, so I remelted a couple of all ready molded lotion bars.

Thanks, as always, in advance.

post-4588-139458430319_thumb.jpg

Me, too. Even with the remelt, you may get the graininess that shea is notorious for. If you don't mind telling, what method did you use for the remelt? Heat and hold and then a quick freeze? Or did you barely melt and then whip?

HTH

Argh! That durn shea!!! What I did was take a couple of lotion bars that I had all ready made, melted them in the microwave, added more color (via MMS lip balm colors) then poured it into the lotion bar stick.

The funny thing is, this was like the 3rd remelting - I make a base, then scoop out what I need, melt in the micro, add color and fragrance, then pour. Also, the lumpiness took about a week to appear.

I suppose I pushed my luck with the 3rd remelting.:embarasse

Usually remelting like that tempers the shea and eliminates the graininess (is that a word? lol)

I am still laughing at your heading about the lotion bar having mumps, sorry lol

I am sure others will be more helpful. I have just read on several sites including searching in this one that you can temper shea butter by melting, letting it set back up then remelting. I would think by that third remelt it would have been really tempered lol