Undiluted EO in Bath

Hello,

I am still testing in the bath salt arena and I have a question. Instead of mixing the salts and EO together, I just add some drops of undiluted EO and a handful of salts to my baths.

My question is how many drops of undiluted EO is considered safe doing it this way. (I have used 10 to start with then went to 20 drops - I have a large garden tub - and no horrific side effects yet :grin2: ). I can't seem to find information anywhere as to what a maximum amount of drops to use is - other than some recipes that call for 5 - 10 drops.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

I've always felt that the "1% rule" doesn't really apply to undiluted EO in the tub. EO is going to float on the water, and it's going to be pretty concentrated where it comes in contact with your skin.

Personally more than 5 drops gives me a raging headache, which tells me it's way too much. I'm thinking you could be setting yourself up to sensitivity issues by using so much. 20 drops is almost a milliliter - that's an awful lot.

I trust this site on it's EO safety information, and they use 5-7 drops in a tub. http://www.aromaweb.com/articles/aromatherapybaths.asp