REALLy dumb question - ONE bar?

Tizimarezie

I bought 1lb 'slabs' of MP bases (Goats Milk, Aloe Vera, & Shea Butter) from Peaks and would like to make only ONE bar of soap from each for now. This would be my first time (ever!) doing this so I don't want to waste the whole 1lb 'slab' (just in case I screw up). So...how would I go about measuring the soap, FO and dye I need just to make ONE bar?

I looked all over the boards for the answer to this and couldn't find anything so I hope you don't mind my dumb question.....(I'm almost embarassed to ask. :embarasse )...but even the instructions for M&P in the "Bath & Body" section of this website start with "..Melt your soap...." :timeout: Okay....how much?

TIA

Geez....don't be embarrassed!! We've all probably been there and done that! :P

I make (and sell) single bars all the time. First, find out how much your mold will hold. I have milky way molds and WSP or MMS or somewhere lists how much is in each cavity. Then....this is my "formula" so to speak:

3 oz soap base = 1.8 ml FO (transfer pippette for measuring)

4 oz soap base = 2 ml FO

4.5 oz soap base = 2.1 ml FO

Cut up your base, chunk it up and melt it. Color...I just eyeball it....I'll drop some color on a waxed paper sheet and then toothpick some in until it's the color I want.

Hope that helps!

Donna

I always do individual bars. Using this method has always worked for me when I don't know the amount a new mold holds.

I add water to the individual cavity of the mold & pour into a measuring cup. With that measure, I then weigh some of my mp on a scale to that amount. I then adhere a label to the bottom of the mold with that measurement. That way I always have that info at hand.

As for color & scent, I pretty much do as Angel91805 suggested, though I do use a tiny bit more scent. I'm a scent junkie.

HTH

R.

Since i'm just playing and experimenting right now and don't have a scale, nor lots of money to spend on 'experiements', lol... I do batches of 1-3 bars mostly. If I was making one good sized bar (4 oz give or take) I would add half or less of a cap from a 1 oz sample bottle. Generally, if you end up with 'A' as in one...(thankfully, not 32) oily bar of soap, or soap with white specks or crystals, then it was was too much. Just back off from there until you find what works for you. Remember to stir well! But I find that the FO cap is always available and a good enough measuring tool. Also I think it works out to 2 tsp per lb. on the light and safe side, up to 3 tsp/lb. So one bar would be about 1/2 teaspoon. 4 oz is an average full sized bar. 4 goes into 16 (oz ...aka 1lb) 4 times. So with out a scale, you would only have to cut your 1 lb block into fourths. Each one would end up a bar- give or take. A lot of molds are 3 - 4+ oz. You can assume your bar will be 4 oz if it looks like what you would call 'average size' and if there is any left over it works great for rebatching into soap chunks to embed or for smaller guest size bars to let friends and family test.

I hope I did my math right. I haven't played for a few months and haven't been doing it long enough to have it down pat. AND it's been so very long since school, lol.

As for color- eh... a few drops here or there, lol. Doesn't help does it? OK- If I were doing ONE bar, I would dip a toothpick in the color, that should be a about half a drop and you can adjust from there up to 3 drops i'd guess.