new tart maker

I am tart feind and am tired of paying for them and want to make my own. Is there somewhere i could order a kit with what i need to get started? Or can anyone let me know where a good place is to buy the stuff i need? I am sooo excited to get started doing this!!! thanks!!!!:yay:

Hi Daisybelle

A good place to start is by searching this forum and learning as much as you can about the different types of waxes, colorants, scents, etc. because there is a Big difference in different types of these supplies and suppliers, Just use the search feature here and you will have plenty to read and learn the best way to do it.

When searching, look for suppliers that are near you to help you save on shipping - alot of them carry votive kits. They come with wax, votive molds, fragrance - most of the basics you need to get started. We bought ours from Cajun Candle. You may need to buy the melt (tart) molds, or try the small portion cups you can buy at Sams Club and Costco (neat little plastic cups that have a cover...I haven't tried them myself, I think I may have done that before I invested in all the melt molds.)

Definitely read, read, read - there is so much information that will really help you!

Good Luck and have fun!!

P.S. If you are doing this to save money, you may want to reconsider and just purchase your tarts. That was our intention, and we have spent way more than what we would have spent on just buying the darn candles....lol We couldn't do it, but try to rein yourself in and don't purchase too much too fast...this little hobby can get expensive FAST! LOL

A kit is the best way to go. I started with a kit to make sure I wanted to do this. (from Cajun Candle) And then I started reading and reading some more. And then i was hooked. Bitter Creek North or South have kits: Candle Science, and Peak Candle Supplies. Those are the ones I've used so far. It just depends on where you are located as to which one to use to save on shipping.

Good luck and have fun.

Brenda

The tarts i have been getting are gel tarts...i really like them...does anyone know anything about making them?

Use the search engine and I am sure that you will find a topic on it. I personaly have not heard of a gel tart but I am sure that someone has.

hhhmm havnt seen much on the gel tarts.... but got a case of the giggles thinking about it.... in my twisted mind all i could picture was jello jigglers:grin2:

Oh, well thanks for that visualization! lol Now you got me doing it!!

Daisybelle, warning - gel wax is pretty pricey. Gel wax is highly volatile. It is a different creature from paraffins and soy. It is tempermental, and you MUST use fragrance oils (FO) specific to it. Not all FOs work with gel. It needs a lot of attention during the heating process. It is something to be mastered rather than tried as a hobby.

Do what you will, but I think you may want to do a paraffin, which is much easier to work with and is cheaper to purchase by the pound.

Good Luck to you with whatever you decide, and welcome to the boards.

Fern-Marie