First try at Paraffin and got soot all over the place!

Ok...so I decided to break out of my soy bubble and try Paraffin...I ordered some IGI 4627 cause I wanted really good ct and ht. I have so far been testing for about 1 week using a 3 inch tumbler and have tried HTP 83 & 105...LX 22 and a 52-31-18Z...I still need to try CD's and Eco's. Do not like RRD's!

So far I have not gotten a full MP and I have soot all over...:shocked2:...a black type of film on stuff! Is this normal for this wax or is it just paraffin in general that will do that? Any additional wick suggestions would be greatly appreciated...lol :rolleyes2

I use this wax exclusively and use only zincs with it. I only have a sooting problem if I don't trim the wick and set it burn way too long. Also, you have to get the right size for your container and fo. For some reason an open wide container takes a bigger wick than a jelly or mason jar with a smaller opening. A 51Z is pretty much my standard for those with some fo variations causing me to wick up or even double wick with 1 or 2 fo's. In my 3" column container I have to use a 62Z. the wider top doesn't keep as much heat in the container so you have to wick bigger. IMO! Zincs are the preferred wick with 4627.

I use this wax exclusively and use only zincs with it. I only have a sooting problem if I don't trim the wick and set it burn way too long. Also, you have to get the right size for your container and fo. For some reason an open wide container takes a bigger wick than a jelly or mason jar with a smaller opening. A 51Z is pretty much my standard for those with some fo variations causing me to wick up or even double wick with 1 or 2 fo's. In my 3" column container I have to use a 62Z. the wider top doesn't keep as much heat in the container so you have to wick bigger. IMO! Zincs are the preferred wick with 4627.

Ditto on everything! :)

Thanks Indy and PA...I do not have a lot of Zincs since I don't really put them in soy blends but I do have some 60-44-18z's hanging around. Im going to give them a try and see what happens. Thanks again for you help...:yay: