For those who make thier own lotions

Kelly

I'm thinking about dabbling in this a little but I'm worried about bacteria/mold growth. Do you all send your products to a lab before selling? It would seem like you would need to wait a long time before selling because you'd have to wait the time to see if something grows in your mixture. Or do you not worry about testing too much if you follow specific recipes such as those at lotioncrafter.com?

Kelly

I don't sell my lotions, but I am developing my own and do send it out for testing at the microbiology lab at the local college.

There are 2 types of tests you can have done. One is a "challenge test", where they contaminate your batch to see how well your preservatives hold up. Another is an aerobic plate count, that is usually done for each batch you do. This checks to see if there is any contamination in that particular batch.

Usually one would do a challenge test once your formula was complete, then an APC on each batch you make.

Challenge testing is spendy, about $400 or so. Some people do a "poor mans challenge" - they bottle up 3 bottles of lotion. Send off the first new one for an APC, to make sure there's no initial contamination. Then they use a bottle for a few months, and have the partial bottle tested. That tests how well your preservative lasts. At the same time, have the third bottle, that's been sitting on the shelf for a few months, also tested. That shows the shelf life of your formula and preservative. APC tests can run $40 or so.

Proper testing does take a while, but that's the only way you can be sure. I'm in the middle of testing my own lotion - it's been about 6 months since I've finalized (I think) my formula. I just do lots of APC tests.

First of all you ant to be sure you use a full spectrum preservative like LiquaPar Optima or if you prefer no parabens Optiphen and use it at the recommended usage. Jen at Lotioncrafters has a great selection and her info is spot on. The most importantthing in making lotion is to follow good manufacturing procedures, start clean and finish clean. Use distilled water and bring it to temp around 170 F before forming your emulsion. Wipe down your work space with antibacterial wipes and wear gloves. If you want to test your lotions before shipping you can buy test kits, I think it's a set of 10, at Snowdrift Farms. The slides are pre-treated so you just add a bit of lotion and incubate in the tube they provide for 48 hours. If nothing grows, the batch is oaky, provided you preserved it well. Keep in mind that the FDA does not require us to sell lotion that will never grow mold or go rancid. They require that we do not sell contaminated products. You have no control over what your customer does to a product once they buy it.

Cor... that would set me back significantly, assuming rates are the same here but X3.5 due to the exchange rate. *faint*

I think bases are the safest way to go for me until I scrounge enough extra to splurge on tests!

Until then, my kitchen shall remain my own personal fun factory. :wink2:

I worked at Blood Center for awhile so I am familiar with CGMP but maybe it would be better if I just stick with bases for now, sounds like a lot of work with the whole testing part.

So if you use this test kit from Snowdrift you can by-pass the whole lab testing arena?

Also, I didn't know that the rule of thumb was 'not sell contaminated products'... I guess, I thought it was a little more strict than that. So if someone buys a product I sell contaminates it by introducing more water or other bacteria, they are at fault and won't come after me for money? I find that hard to believe. But all the people selling the body butters (products without water and without preservatives) must not be too afraid of thier customers introducing baddies into the products.

Hi Kelly,

Check out this page. This is the updated version of the FDA's Good Manufacturing Practice Guidelines.

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/cos-gmp.html

Basically they function around not offering or transporting products that are contaminated or contain a harmful substance. I can't advise you about risk assessment. I can only tell you my personal experience. In most states you will find small or home based manufacturers do not engage the type of challenge testing Robin described. I have much respect for her and I know she always does her due diligence. However that doesn't mean there can be no compromise between using a base and springing for challenge testing. You will learn to have a certain level of confidence in your product and that will come from experience.

Two years ago I moved my business from PA to FL. FL has the strictest regulations as cosmetics are considered pharmaseuticals. Technically, we are not allowed to sell products made in our homes. Since I always had a mfg facility and I was building one here that wasn't an issue for me. However, I also had to register each of my formulas with the state and each time I reformulate for any reason the process begins again. Because I have a business and I'm formulating and manufacturing products other people will put their label on, each product that I registered is challenge tested. I think you will be okay if you follow the FDA regs and preserve properly. Sorry this is so long.

So if someone buys a product I sell contaminates it by introducing more water or other bacteria, they are at fault and won't come after me for money? I find that hard to believe. But all the people selling the body butters (products without water and without preservatives) must not be too afraid of thier customers introducing baddies into the products.

I should probably stop but I have no good sense I guess. I just want to say that in order for someone to "come after you for money" your product would have to cause them serious damage and they would have to prove that you were negligent according to the FDA regs.

Thanks for all the info! I think I'll stick with the bases until I gain more practice and confidence making my own. I just get nervous when it comes down to me having all the confidence in the world but then my customers handling my product poorly and it goes bad then they use it and come back after me, even though it left my hands it pristine condition.

I was this way when I started with my candles too. I tested like there was no tomorrow and only now do I feel comfortable selling 6 different scents! I just have to stop making myself so nervous about that stuff, I sit on something planning it and thinking about it, and eventually scare myself so much that I never end up doing it. I did the same thing with HP soaps! And now I want to try CP soaps instead and I'll probably ponder that for a year before actually doing it.

Just go at your own pace..sounds like you're doing great so far.

A good way to start is by making a batch of lotion and giving it to all your friends and family for the holiday. Once they fall in love with it you'll feel much better:)

So if you use this test kit from Snowdrift you can by-pass the whole lab testing arena?

I've heard good and bad things about the kit - it's age and shelf life, whether it was accurate or not..

So if someone buys a product I sell contaminates it by introducing more water or other bacteria, they are at fault and won't come after me for money?

Not necessarily. That could mean 1. Your preservation broke down. 2. You somehow contaminated the product. 3. Nothing could have saved any product they contaminated. The real question is - if it got into a horrible situation where someone was truly harmed - if you didn't have your testing done - how would you *prove* that your product was OK?

But all the people selling the body butters (products without water and without preservatives) must not be too afraid of thier customers introducing baddies into the products.

Products without water are less likely to have contamination - there is no free water for it to grow. This is kind of a fallacy, because users might introduce water through wet hands, or there might be humidity in the air that condenses out into the top of the packaging. But it's *much* safer than any product with water in it.

Products without water are less likely to have contamination - there is no free water for it to grow. This is kind of a fallacy, because users might introduce water through wet hands, or there might be humidity in the air that condenses out into the top of the packaging. But it's *much* safer than any product with water in it.

Yes that's exactly what I meant. I know I have used similiar products after a bath and I could easily introduce water into the product so I am sure others using body butters could do the same. Which is what has kept me from making and selling my own body butters.

I just know at this time I couldn't afford the actual lab testing.