Booked my first craft show....

Hiya,

I've just booked my first craft show for mid October, its a 2 day event and I will have approx 12ft frontage (3 tables)

I want to concentrate on Christmas stock but with it being a couple of weeks before Halloween, thought I'd do a few halloween ones as well.

I've taken all the notes from the Craft Fair thread pinned at the top.

I'm now thinking about just how much stock I will need to test and make in advance to take with me?

I'll be doing pillars, votives, melts, some christmas hurricanes, things like snowball and christmas pudding candles etc..........

Halloween, black, purple etc

I also will be doing some tins and containers.

I hold my hands up and admit I've no idea how much to do of what, how to set up the display.(was thinking large red cloth for table with black piece over the top for halloween section)........ but I intend to start planning it now.

Even if I only sell 1 candle, at least I'll be 'out there' :D

so....... any advice about amount of stock, christmas or halloween tips or inspiration etc, would be gratefully appreciated xx

thanks

Congrats on your first big show! It's exciting and terrifying at the same time.

As for stock?

What are your big sellers normally? I find that certain things sell better at different times of the year. However I have some things that sell consistently throughout. Lip Balm, kids soaps, sugar scrubs and my Red Pepper Jelly (the only food item I make) so these things for sure I would make sure I'm fully stocked in. Fully stocked for me means at least 10 lip balms, 5 each of the scrubs, a good mix of kids soaps and 6 cases of jelly.

For soap, I would probably just make sure I had at least 10 of each kind, and extra of the more seasonal ones. I make an autumn blend that sells like crazy, I also bring out room sprays that are christmassy scents (for those people who get fake trees, I tell people to spray their tree - you could tell people the same with tarts). Also, make sure you have some Christmas specials, think about gift certificates, think about possible "limited edition" gift packs (for example, make up a "girly escape pack". You want to focus on those last minute lazy hunters who are looking for something that dosen't need to be wrapped and is a complete gift (but is also something you can take apart and do something else with in case they don't sell).

Decorate!! Hit up the dollar store for some decorations!

Maybe have a basket drawing? It will encourage people to take a closer look at what you have.

With every sale give out business cards, brochures and this year I will be including gift coupons, for 10% off their next purchase.

That's all I can think of for now.

Um. Oh, and buy some nice comfy mats (you know those interlocking play mats?) for the floor. You'll be on your feet all day.

Oh, and a notebook. You can brainstorm and make notes for the next show, what to improve, what to change, what to drop etc.

Hey Good luck and remember to take more than you hope to sell!!!

Im doing a craft fair tommorrow and sunday, im really nervous but its in a village hall which has a torist attraction right next to it - corfe castle! so hopefully it will be good as its free admission. Im starting with smaller craft fairs and school fates until i get used to them! Ive had a really heavy cold and trying to make candles has been a nightmare with a temperature its not a good thing and ive had to rely on my b.friend to tell me the strength of scent as i cant smell a thing!! Oh well one thing to learn dont leave things to the last mo!!

Did a craft fair last year and learnt from it i started the wekend with a dark cloth and not much height by the end of the weekend my table was transformed with neutral cloths and shelving to give it height!!

Any way keep us informed of how you are getting on.

Keep smilling!!!:yay: :yay: :yay:

thanks for your input guys :)

I have to get some more moulds, thats for sure. Got 1 3x6.5" pillar and 1 2x6.5" pillar. Could do with making two of each at a time.

Needs to buy loads more wax.

Got two sample fo's on order, eggnod and christmas splendour.

I definately need a round ball mould for snowballs.

I was thinking of a large red piece of cloth for the table with a black piece across one end for halloween items, then a gold piece across the other end for christmas, with other items in between.

Going to ask my dad to make me a riser? the step type thing to add extra height to the table.

I fancy trying my hand at a few other christmas crafty bits, maybe ornaments etc.

Got so many ideas buzzing around in my head, I need to get grounded and make definitive plans lol

I'm in the UK, so bit harder to get supplies over here

I know about the bad supplies thing over here !!!! i improvise alot, you should check out jo at www.sensoryperfections.co.uk really helpful! im hoping to get a pour jug off her soon. have you found out about the presto pots over here yet im still trying to locate something similar!!!! im thinking a trip to america with a big container brought back filled with candle things!!!:sad2::)

Hi,

yep I use Jo at sensoryperfection all the time :)

I've seen presto pots on ebay that ship to the UK, but think its $50, then another $50 to post.

I want more metal/aluminium moulds, but when I want a lot, it works out very expensive lol

If you buy aluminum molds from the U.S., Candle Science has really good prices and are located on the east coast. (N.C.) I'm not sure about their overseas shipping, but their in country shipping is very reasonable compared to the industry average, I'd say they have better than average rates.

As for the western half of the U.S. Peaks would be my choice for the same.

Why do all the moulds seem to come from America? is there no where in the uk or even Europe which manufacture or supply them cheaper???

Found some in china,maybe a bit too far to go though!! he he

Well im off to the craft fair soon and im so worried i dont have enough,I made another 10 candles yesterday,my most popular ones. I can see me pouring again tonight. But ive definatly learnt my lesson on this one start pouring much earlier! Has any one else worried and it turned ouy okay???

Will let you all know how i get on.

I've never done a craft show but wanted to wish you the best of luck today. It's 4:20 am here so It's about 5 hours differece there (No) maybe 9:20 am or 4 hours at 8:20am. Whatever the case may be, good luck, hope ye make some sales and get some positive exposure..:smiley2:

Hey wick n wax,

i survived the craft show and really enjoyed it. Didnt quite make the table back but it was a really quiet show,on the good side i was apprached by a guy about a new wholesale account!

hope you do good at your craft show will be thinking of you testing and pouring all your new candles, make sure you let us know how you are getting on and it would be great to see some pics!! How did your weekend planning go??

Good luck with it all :wink2:

Hi Chauntelle,

glad you enjoyed yourself.

Tbh, I haven't done any planning this weekend. I just don't know where to start.

I've got a couple of sample christmas fo's on order. I can't get any inspiration together as to what to make.

Wondering whether I should bother with it now :undecided

you see, my website hasn't even gone live yet, still work to be done on it, so I'm not even in a position to say what are my best sellers lol.

Dunno what to try pouring and testing first.

Bless u! I rebooked the one i did @the weekend for the xmas one at the end of nov!!! Didnt really do any candles last xmas because i was moving house and business and had no time i think ill start searching and see what they did last xmas! Im thinking i might try some jars but i havent decided yet.

I guess it wil be purples,reds greens and trditional xmas smells.:undecided