Has anyone ever tried mixing 4630 with

I tried a 70/30 blend with my GB 415 and my GB 444 with the 4630. I saw some sooting and puffs of smoke that I hadn't had in the past.

I don't know what the difference is between the 4630 other than one is in an easier cut slab form and one is an ooey gooey mess but I had better results with the GB 444 and 4627 (70/30).

Hi. I've been using it because of it's lower melt point and I have a hard to burn 415 soy. (think it is same as ez soy) It makes a really nice candle. I'm working on % right now and the 60 soy/40 4630 is working pretty well. I can use the smaller wicks, colors nicely and the throw is good with FOs that do well in soy. I'm not getting much soot as the wicks can be lots smaller. I can't see it on the jar, just a hair of discolor when wiping out the jar after several burns. Hope to get rid of that by different wicks. I think on the regular soy, you could drop the %. I couldn't get a full melt pool in an 8 oz. small mouth jelly jar with no color and no FO, even with a HTP 1212 in my 415. I've been adding UV and a slight amount of USA...not sure if I need it or not. So far, no frosting, only occasional small wet spots and nice appearance before and after burning. Once my soy is used up...all 125 lbs. (what's left after all the testing of different additives), I think I will try the Farmhouse 50/50. I had wanted to do all soy, but the inconsistancy drove me crazy. Beth

Thanks Beth, that was very helpful.

Hi. I've been using it because of it's lower melt point and I have a hard to burn 415 soy. (think it is same as ez soy) It makes a really nice candle. I'm working on % right now and the 60 soy/40 4630 is working pretty well. I can use the smaller wicks, colors nicely and the throw is good with FOs that do well in soy. I'm not getting much soot as the wicks can be lots smaller. I can't see it on the jar, just a hair of discolor when wiping out the jar after several burns. Hope to get rid of that by different wicks. I think on the regular soy, you could drop the %. I couldn't get a full melt pool in an 8 oz. small mouth jelly jar with no color and no FO, even with a HTP 1212 in my 415. I've been adding UV and a slight amount of USA...not sure if I need it or not. So far, no frosting, only occasional small wet spots and nice appearance before and after burning. Once my soy is used up...all 125 lbs. (what's left after all the testing of different additives), I think I will try the Farmhouse 50/50. I had wanted to do all soy, but the inconsistancy drove me crazy. Beth

I couldn't get a full melt pool in an 8 oz. small mouth jelly jar with no color and no FO, even with a HTP 1212 in my 415. I've been adding UV and a slight amount of USA...not sure if I need it or not.

I am always amazed at the differences in how soy performs for people. I tried an HTP 1212 in my wide mouth jelly jars (3 inch diameter) because that is what was recommended. Not only did I have a torch, I had a melt pool of around 3/4 of an inch. I used HTP 83's in my smaller jelly jars. I am sure weather has ALOT to do with it. I am in TN where we didn't even have a winter per se and its been mid to high 80 temps last month and low 90's already in June.

The GB 444 is the 415 with 2% USA. I had to wick up 1 - 2 sizes for that additive compared to my 415 stand alone. I have never used a UV additive so I don't know if it can affect a burn/melt pool or not.

How did your candles burn without the additives? Was the wicking issue the same as now?

Hi. The wicking issue was with this specific batch of soy and a few others also had problems. If I hadn't bought 200 lbs. of it, I would have just tossed it, but I'm to money careful to do that. So, for over a year I have tried Crisco, KY 115 soy, beeswax, you name it. This mix with the paraffin is really wicking well. Right now I am burning a 65/35 mix and using 8% Mango Papaya FO in an 8 oz. metro and using a Premier 767. No sooting, no mushroom, but the flame is flickering a bit. May need to go down to a 765. Not to many people seem interested in these wicks, but I like them. I just added the additives as I read on this forum that the premade blends have other stuff in them and figured it might be something like this. I might try without and figure the paraffin will smooth the candle out and maybe wick down. Been really busy and haven't had much candle time lately. Beth

Hi. The wicking issue was with this specific batch of soy and a few others also had problems. If I hadn't bought 200 lbs. of it, I would have just tossed it, but I'm to money careful to do that. So, for over a year I have tried Crisco, KY 115 soy, beeswax, you name it. This mix with the paraffin is really wicking well. Right now I am burning a 65/35 mix and using 8% Mango Papaya FO in an 8 oz. metro and using a Premier 767. No sooting, no mushroom, but the flame is flickering a bit. May need to go down to a 765. Not to many people seem interested in these wicks, but I like them. I just added the additives as I read on this forum that the premade blends have other stuff in them and figured it might be something like this. I might try without and figure the paraffin will smooth the candle out and maybe wick down. Been really busy and haven't had much candle time lately. Beth

I don't think your wicking issue has to do with what you think. I have seen ALOT of people having a nightmare of a time wicking the metro/status jars. I'm not sure why these jars give such fits but they do. I didn't realize that is what you were trying to wick.

here are some posts about it:

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21011&highlight=12+metro

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37419&highlight=metro+jar

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28474&highlight=metro+jar

I agree not much is mentioned about the premier wicks. I have been testing them lately and really like how they are doing. The reason I have stayed away from them is because how the chart reads for the wicks. One wick can work for like 4 different size containers according to the chart so its a pick and guess which one its going to be lol I received these on the classifieds in a box of wicks so I thought I would at least try them. The remind me alot of the LX wicks.

Hang in there, I am sure you will get it all figured out :)

Hi Jami. The wicking issue with the 415 was in all jars. Nothing short of a torch would touch it in a jelly jar, sq. mason, double wicked apoth, etc. Couldn't get a full melt pool unless big wick and power burned. And, this with no FO or color. The metro with the blend is doing good. One thing about the Premiers is the great size selection so you can tweak your candle by just bits. I like the LXs too, but the flame seems a bit high with them. Oh the joys of wicks! Someday I will have to put them on the classys as they are overflowing the basement. lol. Beth