Splitting up a batch of soap?

atropa

If I wanted two make 8 lbs. of soap, but pour them into 2 4 lb. molds with a different scent each, what would be the best way to do that? It may sound like a silly question, but I've never done it. One more question: I try to adjust the size of the recipe to the size of my mold, but always end up filling it to the rim. I want it to be about 3/4 full. The inside dimensions are 14 x 3 1/4 x 3 1/4. I know there's a calculator on this site, but I want to make sure I get the right weights.

My recipe took a little tinkering, but I weigh out my raw soap to divide it for each mold. Each batch I make will render me 1 log mold, 1 slab mold and a 1lb. lye can for test batches or personal use. I am not good with math, so I just had to take notes and adjust my batch size a few times.

That doesn't help much with your question, though, I'm afraid. :rolleyes2

If I wanted two make 8 lbs. of soap, but pour them into 2 4 lb. molds with a different scent each, what would be the best way to do that? It may sound like a silly question, but I've never done it. One more question: I try to adjust the size of the recipe to the size of my mold, but always end up filling it to the rim. I want it to be about 3/4 full. The inside dimensions are 14 x 3 1/4 x 3 1/4. I know there's a calculator on this site, but I want to make sure I get the right weights.

Well, last time I did it I split it wrong. But what you should do is add up the oils, the water, and the lye for the total weight of the mixed batch, and divide that by 2. Then pour out that amount into something to scent the first batch.

Sounds like you want to pour your mold only 2.5 inches high, not to the top. So the guestimate on the amount of oils would be 14 x 3.25 x 2.5 x .4 which is 46 oz of oils.