Testing question

OK, I'm testing my first candles. I'm using J50 container wax. I'm using a 4 oz tall jelly jar.

I've tested three different wicks. One HTP, one CD, and one zinc. They all gave me complete melt pools. The HTP gave me a 1/4 inch deep melt pool, the CD gave me a 3/4 inch deep melt pool and the zinc seems to be holding steady at about 1/2 inch.

Which is optimal or are all acceptable? Thanks!

How long has your burn time been? I would say the HTP wick because if you decide to give a candle to someone or sell them, people tend to be power burners even when telling them the RIGHT way to burn a candle. Zinc would fall after that. The HTP's and CD's curl where the zinc's don't.

I would go down one size on the CD to see how it does. Have you tried the next smallest size zinc?

Your melt pool should be between 1/4 and 1/2 inch after a 2 hour burn for that size diameter jar. Anything over 1/2 inch needs to be wicked down.

Hope this helps some!

The HTP and the CD both burned 3 1/2 hours. The zinc I had only burned for an hour when I posted. It ended up being about an inch deep when I blew it out. I'm going with the HTP for the one's I'm pouring now and the next one's I pour I will wick down on the CD and the zinc.

Opps........ I can't wick down the CD. It was a CD-4. I'm trying the next smaller zinc, but I'm happy with the HTP too.

Do I need to test other wicks too? I bought a sample set of each of the lines Bittercreek South carries.