Plastic packaging & storage

OK -- I NEVER have any luck using the search feature for threads I KNOW I've read. So, please revisit this topic. I know there are certain plastics that will pull the scent out of candles -- what is bad & what is good? I have always used the plastic shoe boxes for storage & they work great, but how would I know they were ok to use if I were reading labels? I also think I recall that Ziplock baggies are bad to use for a prolonged time, but again, what on the label am I looking for to determine this?

Susan.

OK -- I NEVER have any luck using the search feature for threads I KNOW I've read. So, please revisit this topic. I know there are certain plastics that will pull the scent out of candles -- what is bad & what is good? I have always used the plastic shoe boxes for storage & they work great, but how would I know they were ok to use if I were reading labels? I also think I recall that Ziplock baggies are bad to use for a prolonged time, but again, what on the label am I looking for to determine this?

Susan.

"poly" is good..am I right all???? :confused:

I just buy from suppliers..so i know i'm doing right....

For plastic containers, look to see there is a 5 inside a triangle on the bottom of the container. Alot of food containers like butter and deli lunch meat as well as the big 5 gallon ice cream tubs all have it on the bottom so you can see what it would look like. Glad Ware has storage containers with the interlocking lids that I have been buying. These have the 5 in the bottom.

As far as baggies, cello bags or polypro bags are what you would like to use. I know companies like ziploc don't list what type of material it is on the box because I have looked. You just want to make sure that the bag type is polypropelene. My polypro bags are crinkly like cello bags and not soft like ziploc. Not sure they are all made that way but the ones I happen to have are so that might be something else you can look for.

Hope this helps a little.

Here is a list of different types of plastic...

• Type 1 - PETE Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) Soda & water containers, some waterproof packaging.
  • Type 2 - HDPE High-Density Polyethylene Milk, detergent & oil bottles. Toys and plastic bags.
  • Type 3 - V Vinyl/Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) Food wrap, vegetable oil bottles, blister packages.
  • Type 4 - LDPE Low-Density Polyethylene Many plastic bags. Shrink wrap, garment bags.
  • Type 5 - PP Polypropylene Refrigerated containers, some bags, most bottle tops, some carpets, some food wrap.
  • Type 6 - PS Polystyrene Throwaway utensils, meat packing, protective packing.
  • Type 7 - OTHER Usually layered or mixed plastic. No recycling potential - must be landfilled.

You will find this info on the bottom of plastics. The number in the triangle is the number you see above, the triangle means that plastic is recyclable.

I only recomend 1-5 to store candles in.

Thanks for the answers. Does anyone know what it is that makes one kind of plastic pull the scent out & the other kind good for long term storage? For my store display I use the large AH cracker/pickle jars for votives & nothing beats glass -- but not practical around the house. Anyway, I thought I had a good grasp on this topic ... till I went to explain it!!

Susan.