Speaking of impulse sealers... whyfor did mine have to die?

Hi guys -

I have an 8" sealer from Harbor Freight which looks similar to the one at packco. Wondering if anyone else has had theirs die... just dead... erg. Replaced the fuse, the heating element & teflon strip and nada. Still dead. Any thoughts... anyone? Arg!

Thanks!

I had the same problem. I had only used it a short time, when a spring or something came loose inside. I didn't try disassembling it since I'm not mechanically inclined. It only worked for a short time after that, then everything went dead. I changed fuse(s), teflon strip, metal strip, and nothing worked. I just gave up on it and ordered one from Packco.

www.packcoinc.com

Price around $59, I think, but no shipping if ordering $25 or more. Well worth the difference in price. I have been using this one for months, and have never even had to change the teflon strip. I will probably now soon order the one they have with the cutter to speed things up a bit.

Well, incredibly, once hubby & I put our heads together, we got the derned thing working again. Cissy, when you said you heard something was loose inside but didn't disassemble it, I figured, heck, I can't make it more dead than it already was! So I figured how to get the bottom off, hubby figured out that a loose screw caused a piece to be hanging around inside. Once he tightened it up, the connection was able to be made & I had a working sealer again! :yay:

BUT, this shows me that I soooo need to have a back up!

Good for you! Saved youself some money buying another one. I never have thrown my old one away (packrat, that I am). I figured I might could use a part off in sometime in the future if I had another problem. I didn't have time to wait for someone else to work on it, so I ordered another one asap and just put the broken away. Glad you & hubby figured it out.

Good for you! Saved youself some money buying another one. I never have thrown my old one away (packrat, that I am). I figured I might could use a part off in sometime in the future if I had another problem. I didn't have time to wait for someone else to work on it, so I ordered another one asap and just put the broken away. Glad you & hubby figured it out.

Shoot, just send yours on over & I'll get it fixed up for ya, no charge!

That's a great offer and much appreciated, but the shipping back and forth would cost 2/3 as much, as just ordering a new one from Harbour Freight. As I recall, without looking up invoice, their cost plus shipping was around $37.00. I paid about $22 more (no shipping for orders over $25) for mine from Packco and have a better product. Glad you brought this subject up, though. I need to get mine out and have someone check it out (at their leisure), then if they can fix it, I'll have a back up. When I get the new one with the cutter, then I'll have (2) back-ups. Seriously, I really would like to have one for home use, one at work, and a back-up. I have always liked to have a back-up for everything, (even with men, LOL)