Need help with wick length

When purchasing wicks for your containers, do you just buy the 6" length and trim them to fit?

Here's why I ask....I'm pretty sure I finally found a wick that works for my 8oz jelly jar....I found the wicks I need in a 4" length. Would this work? Or do I need to go ahead and stick with the 6" and then trim?

I've spent so much time testing that I didn't really think about how to judge what length size to get when I finally work out the wicking...

Not sure that I understand you here, but don't you simply need a wick that's slightly taller than the container you're using so that you can keep it centred while the wax cools and then trim to the appropriate height? For the sake of economy some wick lengths will be better than others as you may be able to get 2 or 3 of the height you need out of them with little wastage but that's about it as far as I can tell.

Hey check out candlewic and see if they could custom make your wick for you. I think they would. Seriously, why buy something you're going to waste maybe 1/4 of when you cut the wick when/if you can get it elsewhere.

Downside, you might have to order a lot of wick.

Something else to think about when ordering...

I get my wicks different lengths when I order at candlwic.

That way I can't get them mixed up at home..

(Did you ever put back your wicks in the wrong drawer!! UUGGHH!)

:mad:

I always know my wick by its length!!