Helo with WSP toasted coconut flavor

I read "presweetened for lip balms" or some such on the site and I don't think so! So I added some of the sweetener I got and it was good for banana and raspberry. I still think I am using too much rasberry flavor however.

I tried the same amounts with toasted coconut and BLECH! so bitter! So if someone could give me how much flavor in ml. they use per say 20 tubes that would be great. (I don't translate the whole 1-3% thing when it comes to lip balm for some reason!) I was doing 6 ml flavor for 20 tubes with 2 ml of thier sweetener.

TIA,

Bethany

6 ml of flavor oil in 20 tubes is between 6 & 7%, which is VERY high for any lip balm flavor oil. The highest recommended percentage I've ever seen recommended is 5%. WSP recommends a MAX of 1%. Many sweeteners for lip balms, if too much is used, it will taste bitter. Even unsweetened flavor oils, if too much is used, it will impart a bitter taste to the lip balms. Some flavor oils, like many chocolate ones, will actually burn when too much is used.

At 1%, just slightly less than 5 ml will flavor 16 oz of base. If you're looking to flavor 20 tubes, or 3 oz, you're going to want to use 0.88 ml. So I'd either toss what you've made so far (even the other batches you've made at these ratios, because chances are, someone will have a reaction to them), or do the math, and melt them down, adding more base, to get them to 1%.

I know math sucks. But if you're going to be making stuff, you NEED to do it.

MMS has a Fragrance Calculator. It doesn't have Lip Balms as a product type, but you can just pick any product, it will still do the math. For 20 tubes, you'll need a minimum of 3 oz. I put in 3 oz of whatever the first product listed was, shower gel, I believe. Then it asks for an FO. I just chose one of the FOs, didn't really matter which one. Then next page pulls up the math in a nice easy to read chart. Since you know you want to use 1%, and use milliliters to measure it, follow the 1% line across to the milliliters column. For 3 oz, it pulls up 0.9 ml (rounds to 1 decimal point). Voila! The math is done for you!

I really don't intend to sound harsh, just some guidance. When a manufacturer recommends a max usage rate, it's always for a reason. You could run into serious problems by not sticking to those guidelines. Check out the calculator. It should help a lot with the math. I hope the flavor oils end up working for you. Try them without the extra flavoring at the recommended usage rate. I bet they'll work a lot better for you!

My Toasted Coconut smelled so vile...like burning tires....that it had to be moved to garage. Even tightly closed and in a freezer ziploc, DH and I could smell it. Needless to say...it is still in the garage...I wouldn't dream of actually using it in a lipbalm...

But...on a happier note....the Cafe Latte that I got was WAY worse than the Toasted Coconut......IF you took a big deep whiff....it smelled like a skunk pooped one lone coffee bean! It lives in the garage too. That is until I have the heart to throw them out.

Donna