Natural Soapmaking - Marie Browning

cjrhsk

Hi,

I got this book at the library, and I've been reading it. Very interesting. She is making French-milled soap. I'm not sure what soap she uses though. Has anyone read this book? Is it a M&P base, or a bar of soap from the store?

Thanks,

Janet

This is what it says in her book:

START WITH A BASE SOAP

The criteria for selecting a base soap for hand milling are that the soap be white, unscented, and not a detergent. Unscented, hypo-allergenic soaps, such as baby soaps and pure vegetable soaps, are the best performers in hand-milled soap recipes. They may be harder to find in grocery stores, but they are readily available in drug stores and health food stores. When you shop for soap, you'll find detergent bars that are labeled "beauty bars," "deodorant bars," or "family cleansing bars." The word "soap" does not appear anywhere on the package. The recipes in this book don't use deodorant bars or family cleansing bars because they contain fragrances and color. Beauty bars are available without scent and color, but if you use beauty bars in your soapmaking you are including the additives, such as fillers, builders, and binders, that are present in them. Unscented beauty bars can be used for facial scrubs- they are not remelted, so the moisturizing cream they contain is beneficial. When making hand-milled soaps best results are obtained when using actual soap.

Sorry this is so long. This probably makes sense to you great soapmakers out there, but I'm confused as to what soap I should use. (I've been reading alot and haven't made any soap yet.)

Can anyone help? Thanks,

Janet

It's just as easy to make a soap from scratch as to grate up soap and "hand mill" it. Milling, or rebatching, seldom does anything good to an already good soap, it is used primarily to attempt to fix botched batches.

As to her telling you what to use, much of what most people call soap is actually a detergent based on oil (as in Esso). Real soap is made from plant or animal oils and lye. These soaps are what she wants you to use.

I handmill soap on purpose! I have two small nosey children so its easier for me to purchase cp base soap from someone(a wonderful cp soaper) and add stuff to it. I know one day I will get the nerve and the space(lol) to make cp soap. I don't like the recipes in her book because they say to add too much water. The soaps I purchase are made with a water discount. Those who make cp soap from scratch :drool: and botch it up only decide to rebatch if they wish to save the batch. Most cp makers choose not to. I bow down to those who make it from scratch but for me I can only melt and pour. :D