Newbie Here!

sherry

:) hello

i am new at this and would like some helpful hints, i have tried to make the shea butter and it turned out very thick and oily, how do i get it to become more of a smoother whipped texture.... is there anyway i can remelt everything and whip it again.

help!:smiley2:

HI welcome...

you can seach these boards for recipes or just type in the words and a TON of info is everywhere...perhaps more help & ideas that you may have not found before.

As of the Shea are you hand mixing or whipping w/ mixer? Shea will be thick & greasy...its a thicker butter and made for smaller areas like elbows, knees etc...If you want something smoother, lighter you could try a lotion or emulsified recipe. HTH

HI welcome...

you can seach these boards for recipes or just type in the words and a TON of info is everywhere...perhaps more help & ideas that you may have not found before.

As of the Shea are you hand mixing or whipping w/ mixer? Shea will be thick & greasy...its a thicker butter and made for smaller areas like elbows, knees etc...If you want something smoother, lighter you could try a lotion or emulsified recipe. HTH

i got the recipe from here and i whipp it w/mixer here is the recipe

16 oz shea butter

5 oz sweet almond oil

1 oz vitamin E

2 tsp corn starch

but it turn out very very thick ken you please help :embarasse :embarasse :embarasse

Shea body butter is thick...it will always be think, not thin. And it will be greasy due to straight oils & butters. Thats why a little goes along way. Nothing wrong w/ the recipe just how Shea is.:wink2: You can whip the snot out of it to make it a little lighter however when it sits it will settle & get thick again.

You can try to use a lighter oil. I use ako and hemp. Mango buttter is a little less oily and so is Kpanga. It is thick as spatreats4u said. It will get harder as it sets. You can try whipping it less and it will be softer but not thinner.

thank you this is very helpful but what is ako

:embarasse :embarasse :embarasse

AKO is apricot kernal oil.

Shea is greasy. There is no way around that. There are ways to make it less greasy but it'll still be greasy.

If you are used to lotion, remember that lotion is at least 75% water. Take away the water and you have mostly oils left. You should use 1/4 of the amount of whipped shea butter for the same results. Also, when you are whipping it, try whipping it longer, until it doubles in size. Then it should be lighter to the touch.