gel, ash, seizing & then zap testing

spatreats4u

ok if I may bother you all one last time...as I am trying to narrow down all my info. for my first batch. I am trying to learn all the things that can go wrong or what it looks like more then anything in CP. Also trying to figure out more information on Zap testing? When you guys are testing for PH ..What do I do, when & what am I looking for. Akkk just when I think I have it all down I read conflicting info so I get too nervous to try it yet.

We all have our preference and what we recommend to someone making their first batch, I always recommend no color, no FO and at least a 2# batch. I think that you are able to see tracing better that way and there is less room for error... but that is just me. If you choose to use a FO make sure that it is safe for CP and does not accelerate or you will have soap on a stick. OMH seem to be fine... avoid florals. Also, use room temp. lye. Mix your lye several hours before you soap or even the night before. That, to me, is one of the most important things to ensure a good batch.

You will get a lot of conflicting information.. it is because every one has an opinion on what they prefer and how they do it.

Okay. Let's address this one at a time.

Zap-means that there is lye left in your soap. Or in other words your soap is lye heavy. If you get a zap with your tongue (it is similar to the 9V battery on your tongue) it is not safe to use.

pH strips are sold on-line through several different soap websites and also at some health food stores. You basically lather the bar and put the soap lather on the strip. It will tell you what your pH is. I think most homemade soaps will be between 8-10.

IMO- you should be fully informed but if you know the basics and the safety measures, just make soap!!:D You will always learn new tricks and ideas even when you have been at it for a long time.

HTH.

Jennifer

We all have our preference and what we recommend to someone making their first batch, I always recommend no color, no FO and at least a 2# batch. I think that you are able to see tracing better that way and there is less room for error... but that is just me. If you choose to use a FO make sure that it is safe for CP and does not accelerate or you will have soap on a stick. OMH seem to be fine... avoid florals. Also, use room temp. lye. Mix your lye several hours before you soap or even the night before. That, to me, is one of the most important things to ensure a good batch.

You will get a lot of conflicting information.. it is because every one has an opinion on what they prefer and how they do it.

Okay. Let's address this one at a time.

Zap-means that there is lye left in your soap. Or in other words your soap is lye heavy. If you get a zap with your tongue (it is similar to the 9V battery on your tongue) it is not safe to use.

pH strips are sold on-line through several different soap websites and also at some health food stores. You basically lather the bar and put the soap lather on the strip. It will tell you what your pH is. I think most homemade soaps will be between 8-10.

IMO- you should be fully informed but if you know the basics and the safety measures, just make soap!!:D You will always learn new tricks and ideas even when you have been at it for a long time.

HTH.

Jennifer

THANK YOU!!! I think thats what I keep getting worried on- reading different stuff. I appriciate your details. I wanna make sure I am 200% informed:wink2:

having a "zap" doesn't necessarily mean your soap is lye heavy. It can be caused by the soap being a bit too young (give it a few days) or from having overheated so some lye solution oozed out (blot it and again, give it a few days). so don't freak out if your soap has a bit of zap - just give it some more time if it does.

Yeah make soap, so you can be addicted like the rest of us. You will be fine. Use Robin's tutorial, I memorized it before I made my first batch. I too felt like i wanted someone to hold my hand, but it was fine. Be safe and have fun. We all experience gel, ash seizing etc.....you'll know it when you see it. All of these problems can be fixed once you get the flow of the process going.