Microcrystaline Wax to soy

Why do I bother????

Poured 3 with different amounts of Micro.

1. .5 micro wax; 8 oz soy wax and .8 oz FO poured hot.

2. .25 micro wax; 8 oz soy wax and .8 oz FO poured hot.

3. .1 micro wax; 8 oz soy wax and .8 oz FO poured hot in a warmed jar.

#1 has frosting and looks more like a paraffin wax.

#2 has frosting and looks like paraffin.

#3 hasn't set up yet and I'm going to bed so I'll see how it looks tomorrow.

Poured a tart with #2 and it set up with a sunken ring but was able to heat gun and remove it. Plus it is super shinny.

Going to burn all tomorrow just to see if they soot and how the scent throw is. #3 is Vanilla Velvet from BCN which never threw well for me in soy so we'll see.. #1&2 have great cold throws.

Hi. I tried mixing a bit with V1 soy mixed with a bit of container soy and it came out really great..no cracks, nice smell and good burn. Only I didn't keep my notes like I should :embarasse and not sure if it was the micro or the amount of container wax or? Will try again, but I'd be willing to add it if the results are consistent. Beth

Why do I bother????

Poured 3 with different amounts of Micro.

1. .5 micro wax; 8 oz soy wax and .8 oz FO poured hot.

2. .25 micro wax; 8 oz soy wax and .8 oz FO poured hot.

3. .1 micro wax; 8 oz soy wax and .8 oz FO poured hot in a warmed jar.

#1 has frosting and looks more like a paraffin wax.

#2 has frosting and looks like paraffin.

#3 hasn't set up yet and I'm going to bed so I'll see how it looks tomorrow.

Poured a tart with #2 and it set up with a sunken ring but was able to heat gun and remove it. Plus it is super shinny.

Going to burn all tomorrow just to see if they soot and how the scent throw is. #3 is Vanilla Velvet from BCN which never threw well for me in soy so we'll see.. #1&2 have great cold throws.

There are many different kinds of micro wax...they range from low melting (145F) and soft to high melt (200+) and very hard/brittle. The softer products with melt points in 160-175F range are generally used in candle blends. Why? Heat stability, color (creates an opaque finish), fragrance retention (it can perform the same function as vybar - oil binding). You may be using a micro that is not well suited for wax blending.

This is Micro 845 from Candlewic. So I'm sure it is the wrong stuff. The one I'm burning is # 3 and it has soot coming from it so since it didn't help with the pouring hot instead of cool, I'm not going to mess with it anymore. At least not for candles, maybe embeds or tarts since it takes so little. Thanks you'll.

Hi Sharon. V1 is Nature Wax Votive blend. It is a soy and I have had cracking issues in my votives and was trying to work through them. I only added a small amount of the micro 180. I figured if it helped hurricane shells to crack less, it might work in the soy. But, it is probably better to just add the container wax or follow some of the other suggestions found in this forum. hth. Beth