Poured my first palm container candle tonight

And now I have LOTS of questions, lol.

I got a sample from S&P today and I made it immediately:yay: . I've only made soy candles (for a little over a year) so far and i wanted to try something different. My first impression was that it was not as easy to clean up as soy, that's for sure! Does anyone have any great tips on how to clean up easier?

Also, what are the basic instructions for making palm candles. It's very hard information to find on the internet:embarasse . My candle looks pretty good, although I don't think it has as much "crystalizing" as it should and I think it's because it needed to cool slower (maybe?). The cold throw is really good. Does palm need to cure like soy, and if so how long?

Now the hardest part for me was doing the relief holes and the repour. I'm not used to that at all since I use a single pour soy usually. Could someone please explain the relief hole process to me? I don't think I did it right. Also, when I repoured, it now has a faint line where the first pour ended and the repour went on top of it, is that normal?

Ok, I think that's all the questions I have for now. I can't wait to burn this baby:drool: .

Becky,

I've only used palm wax, so don't know if it's harder to clean up than with soy. I think they are all a pain to clean up! I don't ever have to repour, and I don't poke relief holes. I add a small amt of soy to the batch, which pretty much eliminates the need to repour, poke, etc. With palm you need to pour at a much higher temp, and your container, mold, whatever...need to be zapped with a heat gun 1st to make it hot, then after pouring, I just cool at room temperature. It turns out so beautiful. With palm, it's harder to smooth out the tops with the heat gun. It just messes up the beautiful pattern. Don't know if that helps or not (and I'm certainly not an expert by any means)! Keep playing with it, and you will find what works for you, and you will not be disappointed!

Hello!

I use palm also and have to poke releif holes, but I do not repour. I hit the tops with the heat gun. It does mess up the prettiness a bit, but once you hit with the heat gun and see all the "caverns" under the top layer of wax, you realize, ya gotta get rid of them :) Relief holes don't really seem to help, maybe I should try the repour...

I have also mixed with up to 10% ezsoy and still have the air bubbles.

I pour about 195 into warm containers and cool at room temp. Oh, and I used to use soy and palm is harder to clean up!

I use a presto pot for melting, then into a pyrex measuring cup (big ole 32 oz one) where I color and scent. Then I pop them into a warm oven after pouring and clean out with paper towel. Works ok for me :)

Hth

Jill

I think adding the soy, I use the Cargill C3, helps with the caverns. I pour at at least 200 and pour slowly, tap the container after pouring to bring air bubbles to the top. You just have to try a blend and % that works for you. HTH