soy chunk candles

To make my chunks, I used a small jellyroll baking pan (like a sheet, only with a 1-2 inch raised edge). I lined it with foil then sprayed very lightly with canola cooking spray. Then I poured the wax in and popped it in the freezer for a few minutes (maybe 10?), just until it was set, but still slightly warm in the middle. Then, lift the foil OUT of the pan and onto a towel or something else!!! I took my sharp kitchen knife and scored lines to make the chunks, and then after it had finished hardening enough not to smoosh, I cut the chunks. I picked out several handfulls of the "best" chunks to stick to the sides of the jar. I stuck those to the sides first (and stick more than you think you want because occasionally the overpour gets between the chunk and the glass!). The chunks are still slightly warm and they stick easily if pushed on firmly. Then fill up the container with the less pretty chunks and crumbles from cutting it out. Let the overpour cool til slushy- this is IMPORTANT!!! Otherwise you'll melt your chunk color into the overpour! Fill up the container SLOWLY- it's already full of chunks, so there isn't that much overpour. Tap on the sides of the container (or jiggle it some) to get any air bubbles out. After it's full, arrange any chunks you want on the top (but I really try to do this before it's full!). Keep in mind that the two colors will blend together as the candle melts, so make sure they don't mix to make brown!!! I really like the chunks a dark color with the overpour a much lighter shade of the same color...

Have fun! But don't wait too long to cut the chunks!!! Oh, and I've been wanting to try this with some very small cookie cutters also- they sell fondant cutters in the bakery doo dad section of just about everywhere... those would be PERFECT for doing some shapes mixed in with the chunks... Yankme's Gel/ Parrafin line with the embeds and clear overpour got me thinking about those... Can't you just see little leaves or gingerbread men? lol

-Kristi

This is a chunky I made with 464 as the chunks and 415 as the base wax. It throws awesome. But I will try 416 tart blend for the chunks next time because the color tends to bleed out in the wax after sitting a couple of months. But it works fine. It just makes me think of a desert.

DSC_1555.jpg

But I will try 416 tart blend for the chunks next time because the color tends to bleed out in the wax after sitting a couple of months.

*smacks self in forehead* Why didn't I do that lol. I looked up the melt point for both and the melt point is the same 120 - 125 soooooo that means it should burn even, right?

I got a little confused because one post said to make sure you use the same type of wax for the chunks and the over pour or it will be hard to wick. That didn't work so well for me. I need to use the 415 at a cooler temp to over pour the chunks so it doesn't blend, soften or distort my chunks like my first try.

I guess there is only one way to find out :D It won't be the first time I messed up a candle :laugh2:

Honestly it wasn't that hard to do since 415 has to be poured so cool, it is the easiest to use. If I want a stronger throwing wax with a similar melting point I use it. I haven't tried the the 416 yet as far as throw. It throws great for tarts I know. But maybe the 444 would be worth a try. This particual candle I made wax wicked with CD20's and burned evenly after about three hours. If I wanted to push it with a marathon burn I could have probably could have gotten away with CD18's.