Dumb question number 99

Ok I've got my 3" pillars looking and smelling just like I want them...Success at last! YAHOO!!! Now my sister wants me to buy a square 3 x 3 pillar mold. Surely that will take the same wick since it is basically the same size. Is that right or will I have to start from scratch going from a 3" round pillar to a 3" square pillar? Please remember I am not a professional chandler but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...:grin2:

I am wondering the exact same thing- I've been working with 3" round pillars and am trying 3x3 squares.

I'm thinking it's possible to have to wick up to get the melt pool out to the corners, but then again you don't want it going too close to the sides of the square, so maybe the same wick. I was just going to play around a little.

What wick are you using?

This may sound absolutely crazy but I'm using 3 different size wicks for 4 different FO. 51-32-18z, LX 16, LX 20. Finally got a decent scent throw for each candle after changing wicks several times. I can not get a scent throw from some wicks.

A lot of people wick down on square pillars so that the shell remains and it doesn't warp the corners as it burns down.

Oh, that makes sense. But when it starts tunneling really deep, won't you have problems with the flame?

Flowers, I'm using square braid #1/0 but I haven't tried LXs at all yet, and from what I've heard it's not crazy at all to use different wicks for different fragrances. I'm moving on to my 2nd fragrance now so we'll see how that one behaves, lol.

Starless, I was about to give up until someone on this board told me to try different wicks. Finally success. There is a lady in our community that sells pillar candles and all of hers have a super strong scent throw. I've seen it posted several times here that pillars don't throw as strong as container candles. I'm telling you this lady makes loud pillar candles and they burn great. Mine are not as strong as hers but it is a work in progress. I wish I knew her secret! I know she uses different wicks too since I have a couple of hers and now know what to look for.

What scent are you using?

The only one that I've done much work with so far is Citrus Splash from BCS. Either I have the right wick for it or nothing can mess up this FO. I'm using it at only 1/2 oz pp and the throw is great, with no fuel. If you're looking for a citrus blend, you must try this one.

Next I'm starting in on Cactus and Sea Salt (ICS) and Key Lime Pie (Snowtop). Wish me luck. I ordered an LX wick kit so I'll give those a shot.

My square molds are on the way right now! :yay:

Please let me know how it turns out with the LX wicks and square molds.

Creme Brulee (Cajun) is an easy scent too. Try it. Great hot throw.

I haven't tried the other scents that you have. I'm testing a Carribean today and I think I'm in love. I'll let you know. Reminds me of "drinking an adult beverage while suntanning"!!!!! YUMMY smelling so far!

Starless, I was about to give up until someone on this board told me to try different wicks. Finally success. There is a lady in our community that sells pillar candles and all of hers have a super strong scent throw. I've seen it posted several times here that pillars don't throw as strong as container candles. I'm telling you this lady makes loud pillar candles and they burn great. Mine are not as strong as hers but it is a work in progress. I wish I knew her secret! I know she uses different wicks too since I have a couple of hers and now know what to look for.

What scent are you using?

IMO, most pillars will not throw (hot) as strong as a container because the melt pool of a pillar is usually smaller than a container's. You can still get great throw out of pillars though. The perfect wick will also depend on the wax and additives you use, not just FO. It will take lots of trial and error. I do not make square pillars, but I definitely would not assume that the same wick will work for both rounds and squares. You could use it as a starting point, but definitely test the square from start to finish. That's the only way you'll know for sure.

I'm using a preblended pillar wax 4625. So no additives here.

Maybe I should try a straight paraffin and do my own additives to see what happens. Trying to put that off since I have plenty 4625 and shipping prices being what they are. Do you know or have any experience with this wax vs. a straight paraffin with additives?

My square molds haven't come yet, but my LX wick kit did, and... wow. Forget the square braids, these LXs are fabulous. Right now I'm test burning a 16, 18, and 20. I may also try 21 and 22 just for the heck of it. They're all burning great and giving me a nice sized melt pool, so it'll take a few more burns to decide.

I'll pop 'em into square candles as soon as the molds come and see what happens... promise.