Adding honey to lip balms and body butter?

kidsngarden

How much honey per lb of lip balm base should I use?

Can I add it to an unscented body butter? I'm thinking of making one with just honey for fragrance to go with my unscented OMH. should I add it with the water phase? would I need to add more preservative? My recipe yeilds 1.5 lbs.

Thanks,

Bethany

I only added real honey once to my lip balm and it was a mess. It did not incorporate well at all with the oils, I threw it out.. I never added it to my body butter so I can't answer that. If you are using honey powder I guess that may work. I was thinking of trying that in my balms. Sorry I can't help out more.

Honey has water in it, it dosen't play well with oils.

I experimented with using honey in some massage bars and it was a mess. It settled out. I tried liquid and clover.

As for the body butter, I would be adding more preservative, because again the water thing.

I could be wrong though. It's been known to happen. :tongue2:

it *is* possible to add honey to lip balms. what i do is first warm up some lanolin...then stir the honey into that...lanolin is a natural emulsifier. once the honey is well incorporated into the lanolin, then you can add it to your slightly cooled melted lip balm. stir well and pour. HTH!