Setup Timesavers?

Alajane

I’m doing a “quickie” show next Tuesday and will only have 2 hours to set up, so my thought is that I’ll have to limit the number of different things I take. I was discussing this with my children (who usually help me but won’t be able to this time), and my son’s opinion was that I should “just put the stuff out and not mess with decorating it.”

I don’t normally do a lot of decorating, just put tablecloths on the tables and some kind of drapes to cover the boxes and shelves I use for height. His reasoning is that I’m a bit of a perfectionist and keep “tweaking”—he said “you can’t just put down a tablecloth, you have to fluff” it and mess with it!” (Guilty as charged.)

I do think that a nice presentation makes a difference as to whether customers even look at your product—maybe not men as much as women, but most of my customers are women! I agree—I will just have to not tweak my presentation until after it’s all set up, but any other suggestions for saving time with setup?

I do not know if these will help or not but here is what I do. I package everything at home by how I will lay out the tables. I put all my tarts and little things in their baskets and transport them in bags. I try to load the car according to the layout of my tables. So, first are the tables, cloths, risers and then the candles and such in order from left to right. The last things are the finishing touchs. This would be a box with the signs, cash box, pens....

I always keep a very small box with the tools I might need while setting up and tearing down. This would be safety pins, scissors, tape.... My husband and I can get the tent and all items up in about a half hour. Believe me I have this down to a fine art. We put out pretty much everything we carry. I always put out the boxes of backstock last and under the tables. It is too hard to have the regular stock for the table tops and the stock out at the same time.

I also number my backstock boxes and have a reference sheet on the table so when something is bought I can immediately pull it from the box and mark the sheet so if someone wants something I know at a glance if I have it.

Hope these help!

I make sure the box containing the table cloth is unloaded from the car first. I also pack my boxes so that the same scents are together, as you will usually want to arrange them on the table that way. If there are more products than the table can hold, I will pack the extras in separate boxes, these don't have to be opened right away, they don't even need to be unloaded from the car if you are in a hurry to get started with the setup. It does take a lot more time getting things together at home, but at least the setup will go more smoothly.

i use the wood CD, file boxes, etc that you can get from craft stores. i package each item in its own container so that when i pull it, it is in its display. the only thing i have to do is straighten them out. i also do as mentioned an pull the box with table cloth, banner, etc. out first so that as i pull i can place the displays on the table. i also keep seperate totes for my replenish stock such as all soaps in one, lotions in another, etc.

Guest EMercier

I do almost the same as everyone else. I take only what I need and I put my tabel clothes and everything that goes on the table in one rubebrmaid tote. The candles aren't that bad, so I just put up at least three at a time and slide the other boxes under the table. I also have Votives and other stuff and I try to keep it all by scent. It makes it easy to put it all up. Also, if you know your set up, then it should not take that long. When I'm by myself I can set up in less than an hour. When I have help, it doesn't take long at all. I would just suggest that you put everything in order and as some have said, if you would put tarts in a container, pack them that way. This way you just pick them up and put them on the table. HTH.

Wow--you guys are fast!! I think I may take too many different items. These are the products I'm planning to take:

Jelly jars (probably about 12-14 cases)

4-oz jars (24)

12-oz status jars (12)

16-oz apothecary (8-12)

24-oz layered (6-8)

Sugar shakers (12)

Easter containers--assorted (15)

Tarts with free-standing tart stand

Tart warmers

Baby-food jar candles

Soap

Soap gift sets w/soap dishes

Air fresheners

This may be too much to take for a 3-hour presentation. A local school is having a book fair and asked me to set up a display (I've done this for them before and gave the PTO 15% of sales, so it's an easy fundraiser for them).

The book fair will be in the library and they suggested I setup in the cafeteria, where they're also selling meals, so I thought I would print up cards for the librarian to hand out with sales, telling people to bring the card to my booth for a free gift. I'm taking the baby food jars as the "freebies."

Too much stuff for the limited time? And if so, what should be deleted?

well i can't say what you should delete b/c i have adopted my husband's way of thinking over the years, and that is "you can't sell what you don't have". i have come to realize that when i try to scale down what i may take to a school function or craft show, i tend to have customers asking for just that item that i decided to leave at home. so i guess my answer is take it all.

also as far as cost would it be benefical to give away a tart instead of a baby food jar size candle. i don't do candles so i am not sure of the cost of either. just a thought

Crafty, I think like that, too. I can't carry all my jelly jars because I stock over 100 fragrances, so I'll just choose about 30 of the best sellers. Of course I did that at my last show and the first customer asked for one that I had left at home! And usually they just pick out something else, but this woman didn't.

You're right--a tart would definitely be more economical, but I figure they may not have a tart warmer. On the other hand, I could make tarts and mini soaps and if people didn't have a tart warmer, they could choose soap. Thanks for helping me think of that! I don't normally do individual tarts, just clamshells, because I use a softer wax blend, but I could pour up some plain paraffin tarts for this purpose. I have several silicone ice molds that would be perfect for this.

Thanks again!

Jane

this is just a thought and i certainly don't want to offend anyone, but another marketing or alternative to tarts is to use it as a car/drawer/etc. freshner. i have a few of my customer who have brought bath bombs for that purpose. i said whatever suits you works for me...lol

I can definitely see bath bombs working for that purpose, but I would be afraid to use tarts in cars (I live in WARM Alabama!!). I keep thinking one of these days I'll tackle bath bombs--they sound wonderful, but so many people seem to have real problems making them, so I haven't given that a try yet. I already dabble in too many different projects along with a full-time job!!

Crafty, just wanted to tell you I poured around 150 tarts and got about 100 of them bagged up last night--they're so cute!! They were definitely a pain to bag and label, so I sure don't want to add individual tarts to my line, but I think they're adorable as freebies. Now I need to pour some mini soaps and bag them up, too, for people who don't have tart warmers. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Jane