Newbie here! testing candles

Hi! I'm Bethany. I own Capella's Garden Soap Co. in Sedro Woolley, WA. I specialize in goats milk soap, but am currently experimenting with soy candles to match my soap line.

My first question is about testing candles. I made a couple and the wick size was too small (rrd29nst2) I think they must be for votives or something. The melt pool was fine (in a 2 inch container with naturewax) but the flame height was miniscule! Will that affect throw? I have been sending these candles out for friends to test and having them bring me back the container with thier findings. The reason I do this because my small house is so overscented from curing soap I can't smell a thing when I burn the candles.

Also, to what length do you cut the wicks? My other wicks are CD12 and Cd 16 and I heard that wick length can affect if the candle soots at the top of the container. And how much FO per pound are you using in your initial tests? I have been using 1 oz per pound.

Thanks so much!

Bethany

The melt pool and wick size depends on the diameter of your jar. You didn't mention that so I will just say that the rule of thumb is the number of inches of the diameter of your jar equals the number of hours it should take your melt pool to get to @3/8" thick. So if your diameter is 1 1/2" it should take your melt pool 1 1/2 hours (give or take!! I give and take!) to reach that depth. So if it is not doing the job in several burn times you will need to go up (or down) in wick size. A flame that is too small probably won't give you the scent throw you want. I also use 1oz FO per 1#wax. Soy wicks tend to need to be a bit longer, I personally trim mine between 1/4 to 1/2" :grin2:

Hi Fellow Newbie,

I am experimenting with candle making, too. I can answer a couple of your questions. In order to avoid excessive soot, the wick should be trimmed to 1/4 inch before the first burn and after every burn. This eliminates the carbon ball that accumulates at the top of the wick. As far as fragrance, different waxes are able to accomodate different amounts of frangrance. I have been adding 1 1/3 - 1 1/2 ounces per pound base upon the waxes' fragrances load. If you did not receive this information with the wax you purchased, you could either call the company you purchased the wax from or research it on the web.

As far as wicks are concerned, there is a handy wick guide at www.candlescience.com that I used for the wax I purchased from them. I am truly very new to candle making and am hoping you find this info. useful.

Good luck!!

1 oz per pound is generally pretty safe, I believe it's about 4% load which is enough for most FOs unless you want to knock people out of their chairs. :) Of course, testing will tell you what's best, and if you intend on taking the craft seriously, you will be doing lots and lots and lots and lots of testing. Be sure to keep a log of your findings. :)

Ok, I misunderstood about the melt pool. I was using a 2 inch diameter container.

Thanks for the information! I'm currently awaiting about 12 new FO's so soap and test for candles. Then I have a whole list of soy tested and body safe FO's I'm dying to try - not enough money or time to be had to do all I want to do!

Bethany

An ounce per pound is not 4% more like 6% which would make a big difference. On certain oils I use up to 9% but mostly calculate about 8%. Unless its a floral then I drop it way down to about 6.5%.

Our old FO supplier gave us the wrong information then...oh well. Thanks for the clarification. :D