Making a business brochure

jgcurtis1961

I'm trying to make brochures to take with me at the craft show and send to the radio station for the adds they will be running. I have to have this to the station by the 20th. This is what I have written in the About Us. section of my brochure. What do you all think of this? I don't want to sound unprofessional. What are your opinions of what I've written and do any of you have suggestions about what I might add or for that matter take out.

About us

Pumpkin Creek Candle Co. is a small home based business. It is owned and operated by Gina Curtis. It started out as a hobby in 2005. Gina enjoyed making candles in her spare time. She began by using her candles in her own home. Soon after she started making hand crafted soaps. Gina wanted a product that didn’t contain the chemicals typically found in many of the soaps available in stores. Over the last 2 years she has given her candles and soaps to family and friends. Some of those people have asked her about purchasing more from her. It was at this time that she started to think about making a business out of a hobby that she loved and Pumpkin Creek Candle Co. was formed. Pumpkin Creek Candle Co. now offers

candles, soaps, air fresheners, and bath and body products ,including lotions, shower gel, and body sprays. Please take a few minutes to browse the products we have available.

Yes, I do have a website. I am going to add the website address to the brochures. I am also going to list my products and put an order form in the brochures. I'm not quite sure how to handle the shipping on the brochures though since I currently use real time shipping on my website ,not flat rate shipping. Do you have any suggesrions on how to charge for shipping? Another question I have is should I include photos of my products in the brochures or should I just list them?

You could use the flat rate boxes and put something like one fee for shipping as long as it fits in the box. You would have to come up with your own wording on that. I am coming up blank. LOL.

You know sometimes it is easier to just deliver it yourself. That may not be feasible for you but it works for me. As long as they are within 20 miles of me I don't mind meeting someone to deliver. May not sound very professional but some people don't want to have to pay the shipping charge.

Sorry if this sounds stupid.

Chauna

I hope I'm not overstepping any boundries...I think the font is too hard to read. When doing print advertising, you should always use Helvetica or Arial. Your eyes should flow across the text. Mine were moving up and down through your paragraph...sort of like they were on a roller coaster. I think you have the right idea on what you're stating but IMHO, as a home based business, have you considered adding the personal touch? Maybe quote yourself in the paragraph?

A candle hobby that began in 2005 is now known as Pumpkin Creek Candle Co. which is a home based business owned and operated by Gina Curtis. Soon after, Gina began making hand crafted soaps. "I wanted a product that didn’t contain the chemicals typically found in many of the soaps available in stores". For the past two years, Gina shared her candles and soaps with family and friends. She began receiving requests for more product so It was at this time that she decided to turn her hobby into a business. Pumpkin Creek Candle Co. now offers an exquisite line of handmade candles, soaps, air fresheners, and bath and body products..... .

I took the liberty of re-writing your text. I personally don't like to promote the home-based business aspect because that can lead to trouble if you're not properly zoned or your insurance co. doesn't know you're doing it.

Pumpkin Creek Candle Company was founded in 2005 by Gina Curtis, in (city, state). Gina’s hobby of creating attractive candles with a smooth even burn and appealing scent, made her very popular among family and friends, with whom she would share her craft.

As her expertise in candle making increased, Gina decided to learn the craft of soap making. Her handcrafted soaps are free from many of the harsh chemicals typically found in commercial soaps. As a result, more and more people began asking if they could buy her creations, which encouraged Gina to form her own company.

Pumpkin Creek Candle Company was formed as a result, and now offers not only candles, but a complete line of bath and body products that includes: soaps, lotions, shower gels, body sprays, and air fresheners.

Thanks, I'll change the font. I think you are all right about the font being hard to read. I've never been very good at writing. I really like your ideas on the wording. It sound much more appealing. I'll probabally change the wording. Sockmonkey do you mind if I use your wording in my brochures?