Just starting out - ? on Suppliers

I just read some comments on Indiana Candle Supplies. I have started out using supplies from Natures Garden. Any comments comparing the two companies?

I'm not, as yet, using the Joy Wax from Natures Garden. I've been purchasing my paraffin, with coupons (lol), at Hobby Lobby and mixing Vybar and Criscoe as additives.

Does anyone have any suggestions. My candles look and are burning great, but I may need to be doing something else to make them better.

BTW, my daughter owns a Boutique and I will be selling them through her store and on-line. I don't want to get into the craft shows.

Thanks!!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Joy Wax is what you plan on using, you need to start making candles and testing it. Different waxes work differently. For suppliers, find one as close to you as possible to save on shipping, especially for wax.

Welcome to CT!

Thank you, Accents. I wanted to try the Joy Wax because it is a one pour wax. The only drawback is the shipping is a killer! I don't mind the two pour, but I'm afraid I will get too busy to keep up. Some of my 16 oz containers are requiring a third pour. It may indicate that my wax is too hot. Checking on that!

I saw a list given for Newbies on local suppliers. Checking that out. I can print a 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby and get my paraffin for around $8. That helps my profit margin!

I am using the Criscoe in the straight paraffin to soften it. It seems to work great.

I was also reading that Criscoe does help the scent throw and although I am also using the Vybar, I'm not sure I need both, but I am too pressed for time to get my candles poured to experiment at this point.

I have to replace a professional vendor by March 1st!!!! Yikes!!!!!

They are looking great and burning even, so why mess up a good thing.

I love this Forum!!!!!

You need to slow down. Every different candle jar, every candle fragrance has to be tested all the way to the bottom under different burn conditions. Crisco is not normally added to container wax, in fact, it is not recommended in making candles. It is probably making your wet, white spots. Invest in a good 1-pour container wax and start testing each size, each FO.

You need to slow down. Every different candle jar, every candle fragrance has to be tested all the way to the bottom under different burn conditions. Crisco is not normally added to container wax, in fact, it is not recommended in making candles. It is probably making your wet, white spots. Invest in a good 1-pour container wax and start testing each size, each FO.

Thanks. It only happened to two different scents - 12 candles - out of 70.

You can't add Crisco to straight paraffin? I thought it made it softer.

Holy cow! You have been making candles for 2 weeks & already having to replace a vendor....Forhisglory..you need a miracle! Who is making you do this..cause its not safe...making candles takes time, TESTING & MORE TESTING!! But, yes..slow down like bugtussle said.

Holy cow! You have been making candles for 2 weeks & already having to replace a vendor....Forhisglory..you need a miracle! Who is making you do this..cause its not safe...making candles takes time, TESTING & MORE TESTING!! But, yes..slow down like bugtussle said.

Not to worry. It's my daughter's store. lol!

Really, I researched everything and talked to some suppliers and got pointers. Everything is running fine and she has tested one of my candles.

What could go wrong?

:tiptoe:

Hope you have a LARGE liability policy for your candle business. Your candles could burn down someones house & worse! I would NEVER sell a candle unless it's been thoroughly tested.

Don't worry. We will get them tested. How in the world can wax and scent in a jar be a liability? What could go wrong, seriously?

Don't worry. We will get them tested. How in the world can wax and scent in a jar be a liability? What could go wrong, seriously?

When I first started out I to thought about selling but after talking to allot of the CTers here I changed my mind..I too thought what is the harm in putting some wax in a jar with some scents? Boy Was I wrong. I found out that there is alot more then just pouring & lighting.

I think you need to be doing alot more research thought to be honest. I have been doing research for 8 months & I"M STILL LEARNING!!!!!!!!!

Thank You CTer's

Seriously? If candles are not made & tested properly, they can catch fire, the glass can break and spread the fire everywhere. If the wick is too large, it can smoke and make everything black. Because a candle is fire, you need proper warning labels. Most of us on this board have liability insurance and would not consider selling without it. Too many things can go wrong. Seriously!!!!!

Seriously? If candles are not made & tested properly, they can catch fire, the glass can break and spread the fire everywhere. If the wick is too large, it can smoke and make everything black. Because a candle is fire, you need proper warning labels. Most of us on this board have liability insurance and would not consider selling without it. Too many things can go wrong. Seriously!!!!!

I bought all my supplies from Natures Garden. They told me which Zinc wicks to buy for the mouth of my containers. I have the warning labels in place.

I'll check into the insurance. Thanks.

Every wax, wick, FO combination burns differently. No one wick will work for all scents. I can't believe you were told that. That is why we spend so much time testing to get a GOOD candle. Before you pour any more candles, take one & burn it for 3 or 4 hrs at a time until you get to the bottom and see how it goes.