How much hot throw should i get?

sugarysweet95

Hi everyone. I hope someone can help. I've kinda asked this question before, but didn't quite get the answers i wanted, so am trying again and rephrasing it, hopefully making it clearer!

Anyway basically i want to compare lots of my FOs and basically decide how much i like them and how strong they are. If their too weak, or i don't like them, i won't get them again and so won't bother testing them!

Anyway after some suggestions from an earlier post, i decided to melt a small amount of wax, enough to make 1 votive and two tea lights. Thats about 100g of straight paraffin wax, so it's easy for me to work out the percentages etc with it. Anyway i'm not tryin any additives and usin 6% FO (6g).

So basically my question (after all this wittering on!!!) is what sort of hot throw should i get from my votive and tea lights? I'm not too bothered about cold throw, but what constitutes a good hot throw and a bad hot throw with 1 votive and 2 tea lights? And would you burn the three together to get it combined, or do one at a time?

My room is quite a small room, but would you expect the whole house to smell with those lil candles?

Any input would be great as i really need to dwindle down the number of FOs i'm actually gonna properly use, and so if it's too weak (unless it is truly scrummy), it goes!!!!

Thanks in advance

To test the hot throw or a tealight or votive, I burn one in my bathroom with the door shut ... that gives me a pretty good idea how strong the scent throw is. If a candle as small as a tealight or votive fills the bathroom, it's a keeper. I've never had one that could scent the whole house ... imo, a tealight/votive has too small of a melt pool to scent the whole house ... maybe a bedroom, but not the whole house.

Hope this helps.

This is really a hard thing to judge. I had a votive and a pillar both burning next to each other and the votive out threw the pillar. And I had to blow them both out because they were too strong. The scent is still lingering after 2 days just from the votive. I live in a two story apartment, so if I can smell them upstairs, I am doing something right. (I hope).

HTH

Pat

CandleBuddy is right on. A votive or tea light will usually only scent a small to medium bathroom or possibly a small bedroom in some circumstances. The only ones that I can say do more would sometimes be your florals. These are generally stronger than others and will give off more throw. That is why I generally reserve my florals and those scents with a very strong throw for my votives, teas, and pillars.

If you can barely smell a votive after it has burned for a couple of hours in a closed up small bathroom, then this is not a keeper. If you can smell it pretty strong, then it's doing what it should do. If you can smell in your small bedroom pretty strong, then it's doing better than it should.

Hope this gives you some Idea how to test. Also, keep one important thing in mind. If you keep using the same room to test, you will have too much scent in the air to test the next candle, and you will not be able to smell it as much as if you put it in a vergin room. So try your testing in different rooms giving them (the room) a day or two rest inbetween if you can.