Has anyone tried wooden wicks in soy?

My partner called me a couple of weeks ago talking about these things. I had no idea what they were, so I had her explain the concept to me. She says that she saw them somewhere, bought a few, melted the candles (paraffin), removed the wicks, and then placed them in some of our Soy candles (EcoSoya PureCB).

Now, she's telling me all of this on the phone and in the background I can actually hear the crackling and popping of the wick. I can see lighting one of these on a cold Winters night, but I myself like to create an 'atmosphere' with our candles. I'll light several at a time. 10 of these things snap crackling and popping constantly would definitely kill any kind of mood I was trying to set.

But, Kenia was undeterred. We purchased some from WholeSaleSP and she made some of our candles with them. When I finally got around to checking them out, the look was completely unexpected. I was expecting something more 'pencil-like'. What I got was 2 popsicle sticks stuck together. Not aesthetically pleasing. All that aside, the most important part is the fact that I could not get the thing to stay lit. And even if I had, I'm not sure where the advantage is to wood wicking? It's certainly not cheaper than traditional wicks, and the soot/residue factor would negate one of the biggest advantages of Soy wax: Clean Burning!

Needles to say, it was an experiment that failed for us. We don't hear our customers clamoring for them, so we're probably not going to pursue it any further.