Fun with soy wax...lots of blabber

Okay, here's the deal...I used to be a paraffin-only chandler back in the day, I would get pretreated wax (melt and pour!) from a company in NY. Was easy since I lived in Vermont. Well, here in Puerto Rico, wax suppliers are almost impossible to find, so I have to order from the US. Anyways, I scored a box of Plain 415 Bluegrass Soy and have been experimenting with it for awhile, trying various things to make a "perfect blend", so to speak. I only ever use vegetable-based stearic (I refuse to use tallow), 5 tbsp per pound, and I try to use essential oils whenever I can as opposed to artificial fragrances. I'm now about to attempt to make my very first soy pillar, which I'm told is amongst the most difficult trials a chandler could ever attempt. Anyone here try this before? I've found it difficult to find information on making soy pillars, it seems to even be hard to find companies that sell them.

I'm under the impression that soy isn't used much for pillars because of the low melting point. However, I've seen this additive called Clear Crystals being sold at Pourette that is supposed to raise the melting temperature of wax. I've tried to order it twice from them but both times they were sold out and you only ever know that until you order and then a week later, it's "sorry, we're out, order again next time" (great products from these guys but they're just so unreliable, I've had to find a new supplier). Does anyone know of a similar product? My brain's kinda fried from all the various websites and all the conflicting information out there...

If you are trying to harden up the soy and raise the temp, you could add some palm wax to the soy. I have blended Naturewax C-3 with Palm to make very pleasing pillars that retain some of the crystalizing characteristics of palm. We tried the Naturewax P-1, but found it was mighty ornery - until we tamed it with some C-3. Either way worked, but we preferred the mostly palm with soy pillars because of the crystal effect of the palm. Happy testing!:yay:

Okay, here's the deal...I used to be a paraffin-only chandler back in the day, I would get pretreated wax (melt and pour!) from a company in NY. Was easy since I lived in Vermont. Well, here in Puerto Rico, wax suppliers are almost impossible to find, so I have to order from the US. Anyways, I scored a box of Plain 415 Bluegrass Soy and have been experimenting with it for awhile, trying various things to make a "perfect blend", so to speak. I only ever use vegetable-based stearic (I refuse to use tallow), 5 tbsp per pound, and I try to use essential oils whenever I can as opposed to artificial fragrances. I'm now about to attempt to make my very first soy pillar, which I'm told is amongst the most difficult trials a chandler could ever attempt. Anyone here try this before? I've found it difficult to find information on making soy pillars, it seems to even be hard to find companies that sell them.

I'm under the impression that soy isn't used much for pillars because of the low melting point. However, I've seen this additive called Clear Crystals being sold at Pourette that is supposed to raise the melting temperature of wax. I've tried to order it twice from them but both times they were sold out and you only ever know that until you order and then a week later, it's "sorry, we're out, order again next time" (great products from these guys but they're just so unreliable, I've had to find a new supplier). Does anyone know of a similar product? My brain's kinda fried from all the various websites and all the conflicting information out there...

Why not order a pillar blend?