Sticking wick tabs to pots

with convex bottoms is proving a sore trial to me. I have tried wick stickums but as soon as the wax melts the wick tab slides off the high spot and too close to the side of the jar. What do others do to keep the wick tab centred? The jars I am using are tiny - only about 2" wide so as soon as the wick is off-centre it is dangerously close to the side of the jar. TIA.

Have you tried silicone or hot glue? These are a couple of suggestions. HTH

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried hot glue but that doesn't stick to the glass at all. Maybe I've just got a crappy glue gun. Not sure what you mean by silicone - is it something you buy in a tube that adheres to both glass and metal?

You can get it at Wal Mart and it is called GE Silicone II and the tube is blue and gold. You will have to let it sit for awhile before you pour. I let my sit overnight before I pour. I believe also if you search you will be able to find more info on this subject too. HTH

I second that vote for silicone.

I've tried hot glue - Craftsman High Temp Glue - some of my wicks lifted. I've tried wick stickums from BCN - some of my wicks lifted. Another option you can try are glue dots. I've personally never used them but know others that do.

I've found the silicone to work best for me - I put about a BB size amount to secure each wick and I'm telling ya you can tug and tug and tug on em and I haven't had one come loose yet.

There are lots of options - hope you find what works best for you!

Hi, I haven't been making candles that long but I do use glue dots, but they still melt when wax is poured. To help keep the tab where I want it, I also use large clothespins and thread the wick through the hole. This helps keep the tab in the center for me.

I was using a hot glue gun for awhile, but it seems that it doesn't work so hot (pun not intended) for high-temperature pours. I then bought some glue dots from Bluegrass and never had that problem again. The glue gun seemed to work for low-temperature pours though, such as soy pours, but for paraffin, forget it...

I fill the bottom w/ fine sand to create a level base. Your wick won't move & the sand also creates a barrier to keep the glass from getting really hot on the final burn.

Susan.

This is interesting to me. So how does this look at the bottom of the glass? (Would love to see a pic) I know when you pour sand candles, the wax looks absorbed by the sand around the edge somewhat. Of course sand candles are poured at very high temps. Also, do you have any issues with sand particles on the sides of the jar sometimes? I think this is a cool idea but not sure it wouldn't drive me crazy. Do you just use sand from your back yard or what?

I fill the bottom w/ fine sand to create a level base. Your wick won't move & the sand also creates a barrier to keep the glass from getting really hot on the final burn.

Susan.

Hey Susan, I really like that idea of yours. Do you colour the sand to match the wax or am I just being insane? Also wondering if you have any pics you could post. Thanks, Mozz

I'll see if I have any sitting around to get a pic of. You really don't notice the sand, since its such a thin layer at the bottom. I use just enough to make the bottom level. It does take a little finesse to pour the wax without moving the sand all around. I try to pour really cool directly onto the tab -- just enough to cover the sand. Let that cool & you can fill the container without worrying about the sand. I've thought about using colored sand, but didn't want to get into all the colors. I get the sand at Home Depot - bagged as either pool sand or sand for sandboxes. It will last forever! I think it's a pretty cool tip, but no one ever seems to appreciate it. Hope yall like it as much as I have!

Susan.

I was using hot glue and was having problems with the wick coming up. I like to pull the wick real snug and about one out of ten would pop up. I started using the GE Silicone II and love it. Only down side is that you have to wait a while before pouring. I wait about 3-4 hours.

This may sound weird but I use a dab of sticky gray mold sealer to secure my wicks to the jars. As long as I press hard, they stay stuck until I want to remove them and then they come off fine. I have not yet found any downside to doing this. Does anyone else do this? I use IGI 4630 wax and usually pour at about 165-170.:Werd: