One obstical after another!

jgcurtis1961

Hi everyone,

I am so frustrated at how complicated it is to start a business. I have tested for almost a year and a half and am to the point where I'm ready to sell so I decided to take the plunge. I got my business name figured out with the help of several people on the board. I sent in the application for a sales tax number to the state a couple of weeks ago.

When I found out how complicated it was going to be just to keep track of all of the inventory and stuff for taxes I almost chickened out right then but I sent the application for the sales tax number in anyway.

But now I found out that I have to register for a trade name with the state of Nebraska to use a business name. The filing fee is $100.00..how outragious is that? Then I have to file a notice in the local paper stating that I applied for the trade name with the state and send that back to the secretary of State. I'm wondering what else is going to pop up and bite me in the behind that I wasn't aware of. I cannot believe how complicated this is! Geesh I just want to be able to do something I love doing without it being such a hassle.

I thought selling some of my candles and soaps at craft fairs might at least help me pay for some of my supplies and the insurance I have to have to even be able to give my candles away to friends and family. I'm trying to breath deep now.....sorry I just needed to vent and needed some encouragement. Thanks for listening everyone.

Hey girlie, I'm pretty sure you do NOT have to do the trade name thing. It is optional. Ask them again before you get too worked up about it! ;) It's just one of those "things" that will help protect your business name is all. Unless things have changed in the last 2 years, it's not required. I didn't have to do it!

Hi everyone,

I am so frustrated at how complicated it is to start a business. I have tested for almost a year and a half and am to the point where I'm ready to sell so I decided to take the plunge. I got my business name figured out with the help of several people on the board. I sent in the application for a sales tax number to the state a couple of weeks ago.

When I found out how complicated it was going to be just to keep track of all of the inventory and stuff for taxes I almost chickened out right then but I sent the application for the sales tax number in anyway.

But now I found out that I have to register for a trade name with the state of Nebraska to use a business name. The filing fee is $100.00..how outragious is that? Then I have to file a notice in the local paper stating that I applied for the trade name with the state and send that back to the secretary of State. I'm wondering what else is going to pop up and bite me in the behind that I wasn't aware of. I cannot believe how complicated this is! Geesh I just want to be able to do something I love doing without it being such a hassle.

I thought selling some of my candles and soaps at craft fairs might at least help me pay for some of my supplies and the insurance I have to have to even be able to give my candles away to friends and family. I'm trying to breath deep now.....sorry I just needed to vent and needed some encouragement. Thanks for listening everyone.

I live in Nebraska....you are right I think that would be an awful lot to have to do. Prairie, I think you are right! I called them this morning and got this woman on the phone who sounded like the dry eyes guy....she wasn't really helpful. She thought I was crazy for not wanting to register my business name. (Registering is something I may do later, but at this point I just want to get it off the ground). She said the state law states that you MAY register your name...So from what I understand it is optional. Is there anything I need to do other then just register for the sales tax number, like get a business lisence. I think I'm stressing and making this harder then it should be.

Man, I sure understand your frustration! Several years ago, Mom and I decided to open a store to sell our candles... when we started looking into what we needed to do (we already had our business name, tax license, etc.), we got sent from one person to another - one stating that we needed to talk to this person for forms or whatnot. When we talked to that person, they had NO idea what we were talking about, and was sent to someone else. We lost count of how many times we were bounced around, and finally went with what we knew beyond a doubt that we needed to do, and would cross any other bridges when we got to them. Looking back at it, it's kind of funny, but at the time, we certainly weren't laughing. lol

Anyhoo, chin up - people will eventually run out of hoops for you to jump through (lol) and it will be well worth it when you're out there selling your stuff, and making a bundle. ;)

Kellie