Anchor Ginger Orange CP soap

mbrown

Need a little advice on this one.

I made batch of soap using this BB dupe. I just love the citrus FO.

My problem is the scent has faded away already and my soap is only one week old. I used 1oz fo per lb of soap so I know I used enough. I have also tried using orange EO and the same thing happens.....it fades pretty fast.

I have heard you can add clay to anchor the citrus oils to make them last longer but i'm just not sure how much to add pp of soap.

I'm soooo sad :cry2: because I absolutely love this fragrance and it is just fading away. I am going to have to rebatch and start all over again

Any suggestions would be helpful

I have no personal experience with this fo, but keep in mind that sometimes scents fade initially, but then make a comeback during the cure. I've had fragrances do that to me. I'd wait a few weeks to see if it doesn't do better before I'd make a judgment. :wink2:

Having said that, however, citruses are sometimes prone to fading. Hoping that's not the case for you here though!

One week is not enough time to fully judge the FO. Set it aside to cure and check it in 3 more weeks. Sometimes even a bit longer.

For orange EO, use the 5x, or litsea or even a very small amount of patchouli.

Email BB and ask them too, they use to be able to provide me with specifics on FO's when I first started soaping, I'm sure it's still the same.

You might find out the flash point of the FO. I'm wondering if some of it was burned off.

Thanks everyone for your recommendations. I will give it some time and see what happens.

I will also on my next batch add the clay.

When I use orange eo I always use 5x. Since this was a FO I didn't think I needed a anchor.

Generally speaking, when you buy a FO from a vendor that designs their FO's for soap, they will work, even if they fade on you initially. This is a generalization, not a hard rule.

For specific information provided by soapers, not the vendors, go to

http://scentreviewboard.obisoap.ca/

and sign up. Look up the vendor you bought the FO from and then the FO. After you've soaped it, go back and add your experience.

The smarter vendors will provide you with more specific details before you even purchase, such as acceleration issues, discoloration, amount to use in soap, etc. This information is at least a good starting point.

Don't forget, if you're not already doing it, to take and keep accurate notes yourself.

GM seems to anchor citrus eo for me as well. I once made two identical batches of soap, both sweet orange 5x and patchouli eo, but one was made with water and the other with goat's milk. The GM batch was significantly stronger on the scent and it was more tenacious in hanging in there. May be my imagination, but I once heard another GM soaper say she had a similar experience.