Starter Kits: Fragrance Oil

Hello everyone. I really enjoy this site.

I received a candle making starter kit for Christmas because I enjoy candles so much. I was so excited about opening it and getting started.

My first little candles had no scent throw.:cry2: But it was really pretty.

Here's where I am confused. The instructions by Lone Star say the candle wax will only hold 1 oz of fragrance oil, and reading this site a few days, I understand that. However, it reads that you can get 1 oz by using two tablespoons if you do not have a scale.

I measured two tablespoons for my first batch and the candles smelled only like wax.:undecided

Extra fragrance oils were ordered with the kit, and they are 1 oz bottles.

Am I to put the entire bottle in there? Per pound of soy?

I have been reading and learning here (thanks everyone for sharing) and I've learned that some fragrance oils just will not work very well in soy.

The scent I'm working with is Lone Stars' Warm Vanilla Sugar and Christmas Cookie (i love sweet buttery bakery candles and florals, too) . The Cinnamon Bun seems to be OK.

Thank you for any help and Happy Holidays.

While vanilla seems like a logical starting place, because it's a "simple scent" it's really not. Vanilla is a hard scent to incorporate into wax, I have a feeling that you may not have had the wax hot enough to incorporate the scent. What temperature did you add the scent, and how long did you stir the scented wax? And if the starter kit came with one ounce bottles, yes use the entire bottle for your lb. of wax. How many pounds of wax did you receive in the kit?

thank you for your help.

The sample 1 oz bottles were purchased to be an extra surprise for my gift.

the kit contained these items:

Kit Includes:

1 Mini Pouring Pot (1.5 lb capacity)

1 Economy Thermometer

1 (4 oz) Apple Jack & Peel scent

1 (4 oz) Blueberry Cobbler scent

1 Dye Block #1 (Red)

1 Dye Block #16 (Royal Blue)

1 (10 lb) slab of Cargill Naturewax C-3 wax

1 bag of 100 pre-tabbed Eco Wicks ECO-10 6 in.

1 roll of 100 Soy Container Caution Labels (1.25 in.)

24 (6.5 oz) Classic Jars with gold lids

24 Glue Dots

12 Wick Bars

Detailed Instruction Sheet

Except, they gave me two Apple Jack $ Peel instead of Blueberry.

I followed the instructions the best I could. I used a double boiler and the candy thermometer they sent with the kit. I also had a digital thermometer I make candy apples with, to cross check temp. I let the wax get to 180 f.

Then I put in the dye block and stirred for about 3 minutes with a metal spoon??

I let the wax drop to around 170 and I stirred again.

When the wax reached 160 or so I added the fragrance and stirred again for about 3 mins using a wooden drumstick.:)

Then I poured into the jars I had warming in the toaster oven at about 120 degrees.

I tried next day the Apple Jack and Peel. Again, using two tablespoons. This time after researching here, I let the wax come down to about 150. Then I also tried putting it in around 175 as suggested in one of the threads.

And, I'm afraid I had to burn yank Christmas cookie for the evening, as mine smelled like wax! :o

I don't know what's wrong. I'm still very excited and will not give up.

I hope to be burning warm vanilla sugar that I made someday.

Otherwise, I think I have an OK melt pool. Learning new words here.

And the candles seem to burn clean. TOO CLEAN! haha, smells like wax!

Thanks again for taking the time out to reply.

You need to have the wax pretty warm before you add the FO. Try turning off at 180, adding the FO and stirring for 2-3 minutes, then cool to your pouring temp and stir once more before you pour. 150 is too low to add the FO and get it to incorporate completely with the wax.

I forgot to add, the candles to need cure for a few days to develop the full scent. Burn the Yankmee for now and give yours 3 or 4 days, then try them again. They may smell stronger. Have fun with your gift!

e