checking for tunnels

We like C-3 very much! We melt at 160°-165°, temper, then pour at about 145°-155°, depending. The tops are very smooth and we do not have to do a second pour. We use liquid colorants which seem to work better for us than the solid color chippies. If you are having adhesion difficulties, try warming the jars before pouring. Be sure to allow them to cool to room temp slowly, out of drafts. After pouring our jars & tins, we check all the wicks one mo' time, then cover the cooling candles with a big ol' cardboard box.

Keep trying - new things are frustrating to learn, but it sounds like you are right on the brink of "getting it." :D

I tried cooling in a box and got even bigger dents and bigger air pockets around the wick. I have seen post on here about big old drafty houses I am convinced that it is. However I will try the 160-165 and pour at 145 like you do. I have tried everything else, never know that might help. Thanks for all the input.

• 2 months later...
I use cargil C3 nature wax, suppose to melt at 175, pour at 155 to 165. I am getting uneven tops which is resulting in air pockets (tunnels). When I pour at 145 I get smooth tops but terrible jar adhesion. I guess its just a trade off.

I USE C-3 ALSO, HEAT TO 175, ADD COLOR AND FRAGRANCE, COOL TO 120

AND DO NOT HEAT JARS. POUR AT 120, LET SET UP THEN HIT TOPS WITH HEAT GUN. SUCCESS EACH TIME.