tax exempt

malaki

Don't know about PA, but in Texas you are tax exempt only on purchases for resale. Supplies purchased for your business, ie. mfg. office equipment, etc., are not tax exempt. The way it was explained to me was - the state wants its sales tax once, either when you buy something for the business, or when you make something that is then sold.

The laptop I'm not sure about. If it's solely for business, you can write it off on your taxes. In PA, if you buy your supplies from the craft store, you can take your tax id # and they will give you a tax exempt card. If you buy from a big supplier, like C&S or Candlewic, they will most likely have you fill out a form Rev-1220, which they keep on record saying you are exempt. A word of advice...if you are a C&S customer, download the form online and mail it to them because they came after me with that form 2 yrs after I gave them my tax ID # saying if they didn't have the form within 10 days they would charge me sales tax on all of my past purchases. Also, if you do any wholesale accounts in PA, you'll have to have them fill out the same form. If you buy supplies out of state that doesn't go directly into the product for sale, like molds, wick pins, melters, etc, you have to pay use tax on it. Hope that helps some.

As the tax exemption form clearly states, tax exemption is not valid for sales. Only if you purchase raw materials for resale purposes would you be tax exempt............which means...buy a case of jars and sell the same case to another customer.......call me an idiot but after being in business for about 30 years and having a minor degree in accounting, I think I'm reading this right.???? http://www.revenue.state.pa.us/revenue/lib/revenue/rev-1220.pdf