Silicone II How Long?

I usually use "stick ems", but needed to wick some special containers and decided to use the GE Silicone II for various reasons.

I wicked several containers last night....got up this morning and they are not dry! The silicone is still soft and obviously not ready to pour.

To those of you that use this, how long is it suppose to take this stuff to dry???

Do I have a "bad" tube or what. I have used this before in the past ( a couple of times) and do not remember it taking so long. I thought that it might hold up to the heat better than the stick ems. I have had a few challenges with the stick ems on certain containers when the candle liquifies towars the end of the burn. We all know that the client is suppose to discard the candle the last 1/2 inch or so...but that doesn't happen. I thought the Silicone might hold better in hot liquified wax.

Anyone have knowledge about this?

Give it some more time. I'm sure it will eventually dry and be fine, and once it does, then no, the hot wax will not budge it. :) That's why I never use the wick stickums. I tend to pour hotter than most people and the wick stickums would come loose everytime I poured and I would have floating wicks. lol

With the silicone, I only use enough to put a thin layer on the tab and make sure that when first stuck to the jar that when slightly tugged on it gives a resistence and I know it's gonna stick. (hopefully that makes sense! lol) I have never had one come loose yet. :)

You could have gone overboard with the Silicone. Was the stuff clear? If it was white (cloudy), and pasty you probably have a tube that had some air in it.

It should look clear and have the consisitency of say maybe hot glue. The amount you use should be simple. Just a squirt. Use a wick setter (or the like) to push the tab firmly onto the container. You should see just a

small excess around the edges of your tab. Let it cure for about an hour. You know it is ready when you can pick up the container by holding the wick. If the wick comes off when lifting, it is not ready. I love my silicone.

OK...well I definetly "over-did" it. They are STILL not dry and the wick and tab are pulling right up. This stuff is not clear...more like white paste. I am doubting if it will ever dry. I might have to face the fact I have a big job ahead of me cleaning and rewicking containers. UGH

Well if the stuff isn't dry then it should not be too hard to clean. Get ya some Blue Shop towels.

OK...well the end to the story is after three days, the stuff was still as soft as the day I used it. REALLY STRANGE. I recall NOT having an issue with it when it was new.....guess it gets old or something. Lesson Learned. There are times when I think the silicone is the best way to go...but I never knew it could "go bad". BTW, it was the GE Silicone II. (I read somewhere, sometime, by someone...that was the one to use)

Anyone else use another brand?

OK...well the end to the story is after three days, the stuff was still as soft as the day I used it. REALLY STRANGE. I recall NOT having an issue with it when it was new.....guess it gets old or something. Lesson Learned. There are times when I think the silicone is the best way to go...but I never knew it could "go bad". BTW, it was the GE Silicone II. (I read somewhere, sometime, by someone...that was the one to use)

Anyone else use another brand?

That is what I use. Probably either old or not sealed well, and it lost its adhesive properties. I use the huge tube and I go through that stuff every 3 months. I have never had this problem.