Wax Question

Ok, here is my delima. I am new to pillars, and have been trying to use MP145 from NG. Its a good wax, but doesnt always come out smooth. I was lookin around for new wax and came across a local company that sells OK6228/1 wax. Its supposed to be a preblended wax. Has anyone used this and if so, what did you think? I am only makin 3 x 3 pillars for now, some smooth and some grubby/cake. If no one has used this, what is a good preblend pillar wax? Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. :smiley2:

thanx for that info. I found the 6228 at a local supplier. How much FO did you use? I typically use between 1 and 1.5 oz per lb. I think I am gonna try and test this wax to see how I like it. thanks again for the info. Oh yeah, try a search for Tri-state candle supply. I think its listed somewhere on the forums.... if not just do that search.... they carry it and it seems like a fairly good price... :)

Ok, here is my delima. I am new to pillars, and have been trying to use MP145 from NG. Its a good wax, but doesnt always come out smooth. I was lookin around for new wax and came across a local company that sells OK6228/1 wax. Its supposed to be a preblended wax. Has anyone used this and if so, what did you think? I am only makin 3 x 3 pillars for now, some smooth and some grubby/cake. If no one has used this, what is a good preblend pillar wax? Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. :smiley2:

Man, I hate to break the news to you, but NG's 145 MP wax IS OK 6228! I've purchased it from them on and off for years by the case, and the name is on the outside of the box.

If you want the OK6228 to be smoother, try pouring at around 185 into preheated molds. Make sure the molds are wiped out and clean of dust. I use this wax every day and get beautiful pillars :)

DanaE

Dana...you're kidding me! That wax is OK6228?! I buy a lot of FO's from them and never new that. Had I known that I would have gotten it from them instead of WSP that charges an arm and a leg for shipping. I know where I'll be getting it from now on...thanks for sharing that info.

well holy cow.. thanx for that tip Dana... I guess I will just stick with what I have...lol.. Here is the problem I am having... I use the thinnner aluminum molds that I got from PEAKS. The ones they have on clearance. The candles set up fantastic, and the second pour is really small. But when I take it out of the mold, I have what looks like compression lines all around the candle.. I did my first pour at 165 and the second at 170 as per NG's directions.... I will try the pour at 185 to see if that helps... but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. You people ROCK!!!!!!:yay:

well holy cow.. thanx for that tip Dana... I guess I will just stick with what I have...lol.. Here is the problem I am having... I use the thinnner aluminum molds that I got from PEAKS. The ones they have on clearance. The candles set up fantastic, and the second pour is really small. But when I take it out of the mold, I have what looks like compression lines all around the candle.. I did my first pour at 165 and the second at 170 as per NG's directions.... I will try the pour at 185 to see if that helps... but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. You people ROCK!!!!!!:yay:

My pleasure. I didn't know that NG's was OK6228 for quite a while because I wasn't buying a case at a time. I always just bought a few slabs. The first time I bought a case I saw the OK6228/1 on the box. It was great, for me, to know what type of wax it was so I could purchase it other places if I had to. I still buy cases of wax from them when I need some FO's at the same time. The shipping is a little cheaper than WSPs, although I've found that for me, TriState was definitely cheaper when purchasing 2 cases.

(and NG's container wax is J50, in case anyone didn't know :))

And yeah, I'd pour hotter. You'll definitely get the compression lines if the mold is cold and the wax isn't hot enough. I just ignore what they say the pouring temp should be, and pour at the temp that gives me smooth pillars. I've poured it as hot as 200 without any problems (in fact, did that with 8 pillars yesterday and they are beautifully smooth). If you pour it into the mold and it immediately starts to set up, take a heat gun and heat the outside of the mold all the way around and it'll keep you from getting compression lines.

You picked a great wax to start experimenting with. Although it doesn't mottle or make rustics, it's a wonderful pillar, votive and tart wax that gives deep colors and a shiny smooth surface. I can use up to 1-1/2 ounces of FO per lb with this wax, although they don't say it'll hold that much.

HTH

DanaE