Planning ahead

Hi there...I am still new to this candle-making business but I am suprised to see how much of a demand there has been for my candles (I am only currently making tarts, votives & Tealights but hope to expand soon). I have been soooo busy this xmas season and would like to plan on stocking my candles for various occasions, but how long do you guys think would be too long to make candles before actually selling them. What do you guys/girls do when preparing for a big show? Certainly you must not be making them a few weeks in advance??

In need of advice!

TIA

Certainly you must not be making them a few weeks in advance??

Why not? A person with a small operation can only pour so much a day. Take me for example. When I am getting ready for show season I start 2 months ahead of time. (and I only do a couple each year) I only get to work on candles maybe 2-3 hours every other day. I have my family and a job and volunteer work to do inbetween making things...

lol and here I am thinking of trying my hand at B&B...lmao..like I have time for that.

also a lot of time as the candles cure they smell even better :wink2:

HTH

Kim

Thanks for the input. Like you Kim, I only get to work on my candles every other day and sometimes less than that....but I guess I should clarify what I meant by that statment....I guess I was thinking that pouring all your candles just a few weeks before a show would be nearly impossible because it would be so much work in a short amount of time. I was wondering what the longest time you would pour them before selling them. I work shift work (im a nurse) and I have a 2 year old.....extremely busy and would like to get started as soon after Christmas as possible on the various holidays in the New Year.

TIA

Joni

I hate to be too deep in inventory.. going to have to change that next year. I thought I could make up inventory between shows.. but had 2 shows early in the fall that blew me out of the water and I played catch up the rest of the year. Already getting some florals poured for testing.. want to start pouring Feb so ready for March shows. Going to do a lot of pouring for Fall over the summer. When I pour I try to do as much as I can in a day. I too have other things going on. Need to get more tart molds as can only make 1 batch of 16 at a time. Keeping them in stock has been a real stress.

I bought more tart molds as well...I have 48 now so I usually try to do 2 batches of them every day.

Just wondering, is there an actual "shelf-life" of a candle? Does the fragrance fade after a while?