Wanting to learn

Hi everyone. I am intereted in learning how to make jar candles using soy wax. Are they hard to learn to make? I really do not have a starting point because the local community college does not offer any classes as far as candle making and I do not know anyone who is into it. Any help/suggestions would be great :) I am just not sure if I should learn from a book or not. lol. I am in NC.

You can also find great starter kits from a number of online suppliers. Find a supplier that's close to you with a soy starter kit. They'll generally include everything you need to get started, and most make anywhere from 4-12 candles. It's a good way to dig in without investing too much money.

It's an expensive hobby, as I'm sure you've gathered... but it's well worth it. I find it incredibly relaxing.. even through the frustrating times. Once you get something you're proud of, it's very rewarding.

These folks are a really good supplier. They don't offer a started kit that I know of, but if you are in N.C., they are worth looking into for wax and supplies. They do offer 10 lb bags of soy wax that you can work with and see what you like best.

http://www.candlescience.com/wax/soy-wax.php

In additon to the "basic instructions" provided on this website, you can do a google search and type in "making candles" and come up with quite a bit of info. You can also read tons of great info here. Peaks (the owner of this site) has good starter kits and great customer service. Their shipping rates are quite reasonable as well. I live in S.C. and have ordered from Peaks several times with complete satisfaction.

http://www.peakcandle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PCMS&Category_Code=KIT