UK Glass Suppliers

Hi guys! I'm looking for good, reliable glass suppliers for tumblers, jars, etc.

I've found one which looks pretty good. They're a company called Colourlites or Coloured Bottles and they are based in Chatham, Kent. They're about a 30-40 min drive, depending on the awful Dartford Crossing, so I could pick them up and save on the shipping costs.

Just wondered if anyone has used them before.

Thanks

Ruby

Hi guys! I'm looking for good, reliable glass suppliers for tumblers, jars, etc.

I've found one which looks pretty good. They're a company called Colourlites or Coloured Bottles and they are based in Chatham, Kent. They're about a 30-40 min drive, depending on the awful Dartford Crossing, so I could pick them up and save on the shipping costs.

Just wondered if anyone has used them before.

Thanks

Ruby

Me too, but living in Scotland means the shipping costs are horrid.

Colourlites have some nice looking pieces on their site but I haven't used them.

Why are UK suppliers so limiting in their supplies, it's driving me nuts!

In a way it's a good thing my business plans have been put on hold cos finding good UK suppliers for anything is a bugger.

Nattycat might have more ideas.

Sally.

Hiya Sally! You're so right in saying about our suppliers. It's almost like a conspiracy. Don't they realise that if they gave us more choice we would all make more money. I can imagine being up in Scotland that shipping charges are horrendous.

I know that Colourlites are in Nattycat's neck of the woods. She may sign in later and give us her valued opinions.

Ruby

ps How are things after your op? Have you been given the all clear?

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks!

Yes the UK supply thing is awful. To pay £3 for a apothicary jar! Or £1 per tumbler? That is crazy. Not to metion how much soy wax and FO is. I ship my FO from the USA as I get 2x more for the UK prices.

I would love to use 11oz straight edge tumblers, if only I could find a good source with decent pricing.

Oh well.

Thanks!

Ilona

Yep, everything costs so much less in the US. Even with the extra shipping, VAT and import duties it still works out less than buying here, especially if you're getting in large quantities. You're effectively cutting out the middle man by going direct to the source. Many of the UK suppliers get their FOs from the US, but then at the same time, you're doing the UK guys out of business.

It isn't fair. I would love to support our own domestic suppliers but unless you can strike a deal with them there's probably a few candlemakers who would soon throw in the wick as it would make their products too expensive.

Just thinking on tumblers though, I wonder, would a catering supplier be any cheaper. The glasses that restaurants use always seem to be heavy duty ones. I would think that they would make good containers.

What are anyone's thoughts on this? I'll have to go check for bar keeping supplies now. No booze, just the glasses :wink2:.

Ruby