How to measure jar temperature?

Thanks Top...now if I can access my scientific side (which doesn't exist), perhaps I'll figure out what those are...off to search...:o

If you want to measure jar temperature, you may have more of a scientific side than you thought.

The infrared themometers have gotten popular with candlemakers and some candle supply places carry them, but you're better off going to Amazon.com or googling it. They work from a distance, just point and shoot, but they aren't calibrated to work on glass. That's why you would need the black tape. Hopefully the tape is the same temp as the glass and you can just read it off that.

Thermocouples are kind of expensive but incredibly flexible. It's usually a handheld instrument with a readout on it. Then there are probes with cables that plug into it. You use the kind of probe that works best for your application, such as taking air temperature, dipping in liquids, or pressing against a surface.

Can I ask why you need to measure the temperature of your jar? Been doing candles for quite a while and have never done this - nor do I see a need to do this.......

I read that the ASTA (????) recommends that jars not get hotter than 175 degrees to be safe. While I'm testing all my wick combo's just want to be sure I'm not wicking too hot...my motto "First do no harm"!:D

I read that the ASTA (????) recommends that jars not get hotter than 175 degrees to be safe. While I'm testing all my wick combo's just want to be sure I'm not wicking too hot...my motto "First do no harm"!:D

hmm, we have been putting the tip of the candy thermometer, that we use in the presto pot, into the melt pool and going with that temp. Would that be unreliable?

hmm, we have been putting the tip of the candy thermometer, that we use in the presto pot, into the melt pool and going with that temp. Would that be unreliable?

I'm not sure, but remember reading somewhere awhile back that these thermometer don't work for glass temps...I looked and looked for the thread but couldn't find it.

I think Top would be the one to ask!