just a few questions for the experts

I have been at this for a couple weeks now and am getting frustrated. I am using a 10 oz status jar with 2 3/4" opening, MC soy wax, but am having trouble with the wick. They recommended 62-52-18c when I ordered the wax. This wick is ok for the melt pool but it mushrooms alot and poor scent thorw (which I don't know if it has anything to do with the wick or not enough FO). I just ordered some HTP1312 wicks. Do you think that wick will help? Looking at all of these # & letters for wicks is very confusing. I wish there was an easy to read wick chart that evaluated different mfg. wicks to give us newbies a clue.

I am still having fun with it though.:drool:

One more thing...I have a candle that frosted in the jar and also has the wrong wick. Can I remelt that wax and repour into another jar and keep the integrity of the FO and color. It is a Grandma's Kitchen scent with Burgundy/ wine color. Would make a great gift for my mom.

Thanks again for your help.

Cottons are pretty notorious for mushrooming. How much FO are you adding? Sometimes cutting back can help with mushrooming. I think the 62c is too large for this jar and might be burning off some of the FO. What is the mp time and depth? I would try wicking down to the 60c and see how that does. Your wick can affect your throw so a change a wick can improve your throw. Also, I think the 1312 will be way too large for that jar too. My jars are 3" and I can wick with the 62c or a 1212. 1312s are just torches. You can remelt the wax down but you will lose some of the FO throw. Your wax can only hold so much FO so you won't be able to add more. Just keep that candle for yourself. As far as frosting goes, I would not let it bother you - it doesn't hurt the candle or throw in anyway.

I use their 415 wax. You didn't specify which blend you use. But the 62's do mushroom a lot. The HTP 1312 is too much for a 10oz jar. You might want to look into using CD's or Eco's. I know Millcreek doesn't offer them by try going onto BitterCreeks and ordering a sample pack and giving that a go for that size jar. I had the same trouble with those wicks for the smaller jars. In addition with the 62's they don't work with every fragrance when it comes to a proper melting pool. Cottons are great but you have to accept the mushrooming. I just think yours was a little too hot!

I read that several people were double wicking this jar. The problem doesnt seem to be with the width of the jar, it seems to be with how the oxygen has a hard time getting to the wick once it gets down to the bottom 1/3rd of the jar. Everyone was complaining about how no matter how much they wicked up, the flames would peter out????????