Cost of a candle

Tizimarezie

I just did some figuring tonight and for someone who isn't buying skids (aka humongo quantities) there isn't much profit in making a candle. (My cost is approx $2.50 to $3.00 depending on the type of container used for an 8 ounce...and that's adding in the shipping). The FO alone consumes HALF the cost! So, unless someone buys supplies in high volume, there's not a big margin for profit. It would take a lot of candles to even turn this into a subsidiary income. WHEW!! I sure give you all a TON of credit! You all have to love what you're doing....(AND have room for all the supplies! :eek: ) My admiration for what you do grows daily..........

:highfive:

Tizi, you are absolutely correct. There is not a lot of money to be made in candles. I now buy in "skids, humongo quantities" and there is STILL not a lot of profit. I do 10 or 12 big fundraisers a season and this is how I stay in business. I really love making candles and having a business that is mine (oops, my DH & mine.) If you are really dedicated and work HARD, you can survive! Carole

Tizi, again, you are absolutely correct. You have to be very large to make much money. It always amuses us to see posts from people wanting to start making candles and make a living at it, or at least subsidize the family income so mom can stay home with the kids. Good luck! Unfortunately, it seems most people do not set down and do exactly what you did - figure the costs involved and the potential revenue. We have met many couples who borrowed 20-25K to set up their candle business and then were out of business within the year. bummer. We actually do make a living from our candles (after 10 years) but had lots of help from God.

Makes you wonder how they can charge $4-$5 for those candles. I do it because I enjoy it.. no skids yet but working towards that maybe next year. But I sure don't kid myself that it can pay the bills. My DH has a good job and this is fun for me, gives me something to do when he is hunting.. and with buying a computer, a new trailer, gas, cell phones the business right now it is actually reducing his taxable income.. :D