KY Wax Differences????

Can anyone tell me the differnce in the KY blends. What is the difference inthe perfect blend and the Para-soy container blend. I currently do a mix of soy and J50 so it would be so much easier tobuy a wax already blended. Thanks for you responses in advance. You all are such great help.

I have used the KY parasoy, and like it for it's ease of use and low price (shipping is low to Indy). It also takes color very well, and does not frost. It does not adhere very well, but that doesn't bother me. The parasoy is a blend that is mostly soy, but KY does not give out the exact percentages. I woud guess that is pretty close to a 70/30 soy/paraffin similar to Greenleaf. My understanding of the Perfect Blend is that it has some paraffin but at a lower percentage than the KY parasoy. THe KY website may have more information, but probably is intentionally not very specific.

HTH! geek :grin2:

Perfect Blend and Parasoy are both paraffin/soy blends. Perfect Blend has more soy in it than the Parasoy. Perfect Blend burns cleaner, but Parasoy is easier to use because of the paraffin. It takes a couple wick sizes down than soy alone. Its a bit more sensitive to wick size as opposed to regular soy so it can smoke if you are using too big of wicks. Parasoy is roughly 50/50. Perfect Blend has a lot more soy - but the specifics aren't published AFAIK.

Either the PB or PS will take color easier than the KY125 or KY115 and will set up smoother due to the paraffin. You can counteract some of this by using a universal soy additive - and initially buy pouring cool.

KY125 is a soy wax with a bit of cottonseed in it as a stabilizer (makes it a little easier to burn). Melt point is 125F.

KY115 is primarily sold as a "blending wax" to the KY125 in order to make the KY125 a little easier to burn in the winter months without changing your wicking. (Though some do use the 115 straight). KY115 is a straight soy wax. Melt point is 115F. (Obviously).

For the latter two soys, many people use 115/125 as a 50/50, I'm working on it as a 25/75% blend - just during the cold months, but may experiment with just the 115 alone.

The KY125 frosts less than others soys IMO but more so that the advanced soys, but adding the 115 to the 125 has a tendency to make the KY125 frost a little more than the 125 alone in the few tests I have done so far. (I used to use KY125 way back when and am just getting back to using it now).

HTH

Thanks so much for all your info. My current blend is 75 % soy and 25% paraffin so I think I will try and experiment with the perfect blend. I really like working with soy and the way they burn but I like the look of a creamier look to the candle. I really need a clean burn that is really important. Thanks you again for all your info that was really great.

Someone who is VERY knowledgeable told me that it is basically impossible to mix your own blend of soy/paraffin and it be equivalent to what one purchases from a manufacturer or supplier. Meaning, say you want a 70/30 blend. YOU blend 70 soy and 30 paraffin even of the same waxes - that does not mean it is the same as a blend you buy from a manufacturer or supplier that is the same percentages - there is more going on that just taking 2 items and mixing them - different process, different additives, etc. Maybe this person will post on this thread to expand on this, but from what I understand, you may be better off buying a paraffin/soy blend that trying to make your own equivalent. (Now tweaking an existing blend is different, for example adding BW or USA - that's not what I mean.)

EDIT - Don't forget to try the soy additives, the one I use really does help smooth things out (if really dark wax though - upon the wax setting up you will still see some frost at the burn line).

Hi Henry. Do you think the 115 is the same as the Golden Brands's LP402? I would like to find a closer supplier for Ky's 115 but not sure what would be the same. Any ideas? TIA. Beth

I have both 415 and 402, and the flake size of the 402 is much smaller than the 415. So it very well could be the same. Many candle supply bidnesses on the web use Golden Brands 415 as their house brand.

geek

Hi Geek. Yah, that's true. But only KY has the ll5 which has a lower melt temp (guess that is where they get the name...115 degrees) so I have been mixing to lower the meltpoint some to be able to use a bit smaller wick size. I loved the first 415 I bought but hated the 200 lbs that won't hardly melt. It is a past story, but I am still changing waxes looking for one that works good with a normal sized wick and has a great hot throw...my stubborness keeps me from going back to the 415. I've tried the GL 70/30 blend and found Swans (closer) has a 70/30 blend and also a 30/70 (I think) with lesser soy. Maybe I overwicked, but I did get some sooting with the GL blend and not excited about the hot throw. Probably didn't do all the research on FOs to use, but only had 10 lbs. I also tried to make a blend and think it is better to get the preblended mix. Beth