Can I add loton & sugar ??

Angeliquebe

If I add sugar and lotion for the shower as a scrub do i need a preservative and how does that sound?? Thank you.
I could be wrong but it sounds like your trying to make a moisturizing sugar scrub/ body wash all in one? If you are I would definitely use a preservative.

If you are just mixing lotion and sugar together, the lotion has a preservative already but it is not designed for the application you are wanting to use it for. Since you want to make a scrub, I think it will need a preservative since water can get into the mixture. However, it really is not hard to make a scrub from scratch. Making your own allows you to know what all the ingredients are in it and not have to figure out what and how much perservative to add into it while maintaining the integrity of the solution.

OK, just a thought here and not sure if I am making sense but if this is for just you...you could keep lotion and sugar seperate until shower time and then just mix enough in a cup that is good for a one time use and scrub away. Keeping the lotion and sugar stored as intended until you need them cancels the need for additional preservative. If it is to mix lotion and sugar together and store over time or to sell yes you do need the preservative.

Does it sound like a good idea? The fluid lotion scrub does sound great but not putting sugar in a standard lotion. The water and water based products in the lotion will dissolve the sugar over time and create the preservative issue and goo that wont be scrubbing.

One thing to get the same shower result might be to take your favorite lotion recipe, use only the oils and preservative part (maybe at a higher limit of use and ensure it is ok in oils) and then experiment with the amount of sugar you want to add to that like 3x the amount of oils in sugar etc.

That way the preservative isnt an issue, the water parts of lotion wont dissolve your sugar and you still get the end result when the shower spray hits the scrub on your body it mixes with the oils/emulsifiers in the oil part of the lotion recipe and turns into a lotion.

There are a few "emulsified scrub" recipes floating around that do the same thing but seem to be a bit thicker for application, if you want the more fluid lotion like scrub maybe try to tweak an emulsified scrub to be less stiff and thick.

I need more coffee...i hope that made sense

• 2 weeks later...