Figuring misc. costs for candle pricing?

ubure

It's basic math. You know what your utilities averaged before you started making candles, don't you? Subtract that number from the increase number and there's your cost.

Only you know what your materials cost. Only you know how much you've wasted. Nobody here can do your numbers for you.

It's basic math.

It's basic math. You know what your utilities averaged before you started making candles, don't you? Subtract that number from the increase number and there's your cost.

Only you know what your materials cost. Only you know how much you've wasted. Nobody here can do your numbers for you.

It's basic math.

I think she was nicely asking for help...not a flipant sarcastic reply...JMO :lipsrseal

I think she was nicely asking for help...not a flipant sarcastic reply...JMO :lipsrseal

I think so also

Figuring those are harder than you think. I try to have very little wasted wax I find some use for it usually firestarters or some other option. As most of us are doing it out of our homes it gets even hard to figure it is easier when you run a shop and have all the bills dedicated to it.

I am not sure what everyone else does but when I was making them at home I would add anywhere from $.05 to $.50 in to my base material cost to cover those expenses.

Say a set of 6 tealight would get .05 but a 16 oz jar or 3x 6 pillar would get .50.

Those kind of cost are why you should charge 4x material cost for retail.

Say your candle retail is $8 for an 8oz jar candle

$2 would be for materials

$2 would be for other over head expenses, advertising. and a small profit if you are wholesaling.

Now if you are retailing such as a web site, shows, rent at craft malls places like that that is what the other $4 is for also to pay yourself, possible employees and a profit.

Darn...I knew I spelled flippant wrong....perhaps you desire to help her got lost in the translation of your email, I'm not trying to be critical of anything I'm just honestly stating how your response to her came across to me, as a matter of fact your response to me has the same flippant sarcastic feel, so maybe it is just the way I'm reading it...if so my appologies...:cool2:

Inez, I was wondering the same thing once. I don't sell yet but if I did I'd have to just add a dollar amount the way Vicky did it. My utility bills are all over the place depending on the weather and number of people staying with me at any given time. All those hot showers and extra laundry loads can really add up.

It's basic math.

Maybe I shoud have precised my question: I just wanted to know what lump sum you assess for this stuff, not an exact number calculated from bills etc.

You see, I'm just not ABLE do this basic math, because I'm a blonde and in my abitur (the German university entrance-diploma) a had only 2 out of 15 points in math.:DBTW: Are you a relative of SliverofWax?:wink2:

Never mind, it's such a nice sunny day here and I'm not going to be annoyed at anything.*getdown*

Thank you to all the others being so helpful - you've given me the info I need:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sorry, I wasn't jumping on you. I've been a member just a short time and am more used to the collegiate world where students are given a beginning point and encouraged to develop their own methodology. Basic math skills are the most important reason young businesses succeed. Because of widespread internet shopping, it's not about location, location, location anymore. I am a precise person and a formula such as the one given would not satisfy a bank if you wanted to start a bricks and mortar business. If this is a hobby for you, then it would suffice.

I assumed my answer would give you a starting place. Apparently not. Sorry about that.

That's okay and as I said before this day is too nice to be angry.

I know now what I wanted to know and that's it. And: I am as well used to the "collegiate world" - I have two masters (but *surprise surprise* not in math, but in English and German linguistics and English literature - so if anybody wants to interpret a poem....I'll give you a starting point!).

But be assured I knwo what I'm doing - I'm running a business for two years now and yes, my bank liked my business plan and gave me the money I needed.

As I mentioned before, I was only interested in a figure the others work with to have a possibility of comparison and that is what I have now.

Okay, I guess it's enough now - I'm a bit off my trolley today...