My Salt Bars..what is happening?

Ruby

Hello all. I starting making salt bars a couple months ago and I love them! I use 100% coconut oil and equal amounts of fine sea salt. I have made 5 diffferent batches using body safe FO.s.

I put them in a 170 oven for an hour and cut right away. They turn out great. I make a 40 0z. batch.

I have them stored in a cool room in a cardboard box. THEY ARE WEEPING!!

All of them. I tried one in the shower today and it was fine after it got wet.

Any ideas? Should I wipe them all off with a damp cloth? Store in a warmer place?

TIA for any ideas or help you might have. I always get great advice reading this board and alot of answers.

Ruby

Sea Salt attracts moisture from the air. If it's humid where you are, you will have more problems with them weeping. Try a small test batch with table salt and see if you get the same results. Otherwise, if you stay with Sea Salt, you'll have to do what Grumpy Girl is telling you to do.

I've been lucky I guess. Mine do not weep. I don't use 100% coconut oil though, 50-60% at most. I also put the cut soaps under running water and smooth them just slightly and put them on a rack to dry.( maybe it seals them? ) I have used both sea salt and regular table salt with no problems and I live in a humid area. Good luck!

Thanks for the info. Maybe I should try a different recipe, such as yours. I have them racked and in a warmer place and they are still dripping wet.

This is making me mad too! I love salt bars. Thanks, Ruby

kraze, have you made them and not washed them under water before putting them on the rack? Did the non washed ones weep at all? I tried wrapping the few I made for a show but even with the cello wrap the salt still wanted to be friends with the moisture and left a gooey layer around the sides of the soap.

Hello all and many thanks for all your hints. I tried washing the salt bars in warm water and drying them off. So far, so good. No more weeping, so far. I think I will shrink wrap a few and see what happens. Thanks again, Ruby