heating containers

As for where you can read it, IGI generally recommends pre-heating jars and they sell most of the container wax we buy. They refer to it all over the place.

But I agree it totally depends on the wax and probably also on your containers and general conditions. Certain waxes will only give you the best results if you preheat, but with others it might not help as much. Generally it's meant to promote more uniform cooling and delay the wax congealing against the side of the jar. When it helps it really helps, both with glass adhesion and the flatness of the top.

As usual, do your testing and decide what works best for you. I don't think blanket statements apply here.

Very important, don't preheat jars past 150 max.

Guest amynleebishop
Where are you storing your containers that they get so cold to explode when you pour hot wax into them?

Mine are stored in the garage and pour into them cold also, I dont heat them.

I use IGI wax and they suggest as you have read above that you heat the jars. I am using ball mason jars so I do not think they are too thin and should not be used for candle making, as for getting the advice from a new candle maker...... I guess most of the companies that sell IGI wax must have just gone into this business.

Back to topic~I have only had it happen once, but that was enough for me to begin just sitting them near the stove or at least ensuring they were not cold b4 I started pouring. Hardwood floors and ceramic tile do not like hot wax.